Best breakdown service?

I get breakdown cover via Nationwide Flex Account. Covered Europe and UK.  Any vehicle etc. Rather good value for money!

Had a reply from Nationwide to say that in my situation, as it was just an accident, they would have been able to help with a recovery but there may have been charges as it was not a breakdown.  They would also have provided a relief driver, but again there may have been charges, and they would have advised to go through the insurance company as it was an accident.  I am assuming “may” is insurance talk for “most certainly would be”.

Would any breakdown company provide an accident recovery option without separate charges?  Apparently RAC accident care not only still carries a charge for recovery, but your accident has to include another vehicle.  Not to sound too selfish, but I refuse to include anyone else in my accidents.

Comprehensive insurance would  work out much more expensive than one-off costs.  Looking on various sites  though nothing seems to include  a way of cover for accidental damage to the rider.  On that basis it seems the Nationwide option may work out best for me just for general breakdown use.

> Would any breakdown company provide an accident recovery option without separate charges?

That used to be the main selling point of the RAC over the AA - if your vehicle was broken they’d repair or recover it as part of your cover, and they didn’t really care how you’d broken it.

The problem is where the vehicle is not broken, just that the driver is left unable to operate it.  Having looked through various policy PDFs I could not find anything being offered that would cover that particular situation.  And the AA is explicit that no recovery is possible after an accident, not even just locally for repair. 

It does not seem either that unusual or common that I am surprised nowhere is offering a product specifically for that sort of situation.

RAC were on Watchdog this evening, actually.

8/10 of the call outs Watchdog did showed RAC recommending a new battery when all that was required was running the car for 20 mins.

Haha, Roni got the opposite - he called them out one night with a flat battery in a petrol station the A1 just north of Baldock. They jump-started him, and then it all went dead again about 20miles later on the A1M so he got to wait for them again, just this time in an unlit hard shoulder.

Ask her to buy a good car. Then join the RAC. 

By the way Martin, is yer sister fit?

My last accident, many many years ago, just rang the nearest Ford dealer, the advantage being once they had provided a quote their storage charges ensure the insurance company acted promptly.

They came out, took me home and took the car away.

Had a dead battery when I stopped for petrol near the O2 a couple of weeks back, called out the RAC who came and tested the battery which showed up faulty on their tester, jump started my bike and followed me home (only another 10miles or so from there), turned out the stator was faulty, bought a new battery after anyway to be safe as that one had lasted me over 6 years which is a record for me, the original was probably ok despite what the RAC tester said. My regular mechanic says never to let the RAC near with their testers as he’s known them to cause ECU problems, but I couldn’t get the bike bump started so needed em this time to get home.

To be fair though that’s more than any other breakdown company I’ve had before have done, green flag & britannia (going back past 6 years though) have just used a 3rd party to turn up with a trailer.

My fair share of using RAC, AA and green flag, is read what you require before you buy.

Will she be doing long distance -
cause if she breaks down its best to get one that will take you home where ever you are.
As previously said some cover will include courtesy car.
Most basic coverage will only take you to your local/nearest garage.

None of the above will recover your car in an accident unless you pay them extra.
insurance normally recovers your for free which involves a claim than.

I’ve found out that at busy periods they all use 3rd party so you might get a local garage tow truck come out which I have had.

If she’s getting a diesel get fuel cover normally when you get insurance they offer it.

RAC have a good diagnostic system, was sprites how good it was. Not sure on AA as I haven’t used them for a while.

Most banks offer you free recovery. Might be worth a call to see if you can upgrade as there basic cover most of the times.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Anyone have any experience of Start Rescue?