been done for no-Baffle?

thanks alot guys, baffle out in the mornin :smiley: im tempted to put a vid up on youtube, the sound is just so wild

Yes, I own a bike, ride every day . .

I too like the sound of engines (actually big V8’s do it for me) but in their place and not at 3 in the morning!

As I said it’s just selfishness . . .

“so i should ride a biek with a nice quite sewing machine exhaust…so i dont deafen people? get real! i love the REAL sound of a bike.”

Yes, you should, the world isn’t all about you! :slight_smile:

“…but alot safer than a bike with a standard can…THAT…is a FACT…”

Not if you are the normal sounding vehicle that is drowned out by your blaring pipes. Observation and courtesy (and occasional use of the horn) is safer and much more considerate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sadly such an attitude is not ‘cool’ or ‘stylish’ and is therefore of no value in these shallow Me! Me! Me! times.

I like the sound of a bike…some do some dont…this is as always the problem and there shopuld be a limit because some of these egnines can actually damage your ears without a baffle…

My interest is, is it just the noise that people want or do they really just want to **** a hoop at authority…I prefere engines whisper quiet with an aubidle sound when working hard…

As to the safety aspect, all cars should have an alarm when a bike comes anywhere near so they can open their eyes, look in their mirror and not turn into us…as the woman who very nearly killed me said she did but still didnt see me…not convinced she did…

Agreed. ‘Some do some don’t’ is the key point; riding around with no baffles means those that don’t want to hear it have no choice but to do so - i.e selfishness on the part of the biker. Go to a racetrack if it’s throaty roars you want!

You are right too about bike noise being more about ego and image and a notion that biking is about being a rebellious maverick - which some actually believe but which others realise is just an embarrassing fantasy.

Riding in London is a scary experience indeed and everyday I see examples of horrendous driving (and riding) but I do think it is a mistake to then use this to justify another form of anti-social behaviour. Life is full of compromises and if you want to ride safely in London in means improving your observation, anticipating hazards, staying calm and not getting caught up in the madness. It’s not about riding around with a bike so loud that people can hear it for miles and which adds to the already poor image of bikers for those of us who ride and actually give a damn about anyone else!.

D

mate i can be bothered with you, your an arse…

selfish? maybe…probabaly…and yes it is all about me when i’m on my bike cos i’m vunerable, and a horn doesnt always work!!! lterally people jus dont hear it.

dude please please please dont come near me or my bike, i would hate for my selfishness to upset you…LMAO

oh and man you must be boring…

oh and where did you say you live? Viggen…Caveman…SV1000’s mount up…noise time;)

Got to say, I completely agree with JimShoe. I am however, not a saint in that every bike I own, it has a race can on. I understand that everyone can hear my bike going by so try my best to stick to lower gears if it’s early in the morning. And I push my bike down the road too before starting it in the morning.

I can at least accept that by using a race can, I admit I am causing bother to others. Unlike most other bikers who can’t…and don’t seem to care in terms of the way they ride.

Although I disagree with your choice of can GC I respect greatly your honesty and that you do make an effort to think about others. Good on you!

Ratty46, the fact that you have resorted to insulting me rather than engage in a constructive argument kinda proves my point about your attitude - thanks!

Doug

what by calling you an arse? well to me your being an arse…i could all you far worse but theres no need is there:)

FYI my neighbours never complain, some i know some i dont…and i coome home at all times, obviously i keep teh noise down, im not that bad! even starting it early on sunday mornings when its dead quite no one moans…

i live in a block of flats with most of the residents being oap’s. not a single one has complained infact all the old lads come over for a chat and a good look at the bike when i’m around. i’m glad i don’t live with grumpy old men. do you know brian m by chance?

There is no need for insults at all! :slight_smile: The fact that you want to call me names because I disagree with you suggests to me there is no substance to your point of view.

D

dude lighten up…you have your opinion i have mine…thats how it is.

to suggest that loud pipes DONT make a difrence is feckjign stupid and you know it, because the blantly do…remind me what bike you rid eso when i see you in traffic i can make shitloads of noise…i mean quiten down the noise for you.

Anyone else baffled by this thread?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :Whistling:

no, but i’m exhausted!!

i’ll get me coat!

Well said Ratty.

I can clearly see both sides of the argument.

I have a race can on my bike because I want to. I like the look of it, and I love the sound of it. I do not ride around revving my engine to irritate people, neither do I upset my neighbours by starting it at unsociable hours. When I come home late, I turn the engine off down hte road, and it rolls home to a halt. If I were to leave home before 8am, I’ll push the bike around the corner. This is what I call a comprimise.

Whilst I’m on the roads away from home, I ride as safe as I can, as it is my life at stake. If my exhaust upsets anyone, I am sorry for that, but it will only be momentarily, as I do not hang around revving it.

For the one person who was about to change lane/pull out etc - every penny that it cost me has been well spent. That’s not to say that everyone ‘will’ hear me coming - as I have been knocked off fairly recently, but any possibility of increasing my chances of survival… i’ll take. And that is MY choice - nobobody else’s.

This post is not meant to be poking fingers up at anyone - just my opinion to all who cares to read it. :slight_smile:

good post alex.

i dont have mine on to annoy, i suppose im just lucky i can ride right up to my front door at anytime of day or night and never get a compalint…obviously i keep the revs down…

To answer the baffling question of baffles. I’ve stuck mine back in, and I’ve had close calls with cyclists who don’t look and of course, don’t hear me coming. Makes for interesting riding. I am giving the experiment a couple of weeks and I’ll see how it all goes. But I have a feeling that the baffle may well be coming out again… Not because I like the sound (which I do) but because it is a proven safety feature of the Triumph Triple. You cannot ignore a bike that you have heard coming.

+1

I forgot to mention pedestrians. I know we have a horn (no jokes Lusty), but a commute into central London would involve sounding your horn every two minutes if it was used to warn pedestrians. Rather than an angry blast on the horn, a gentle blip usually does the job. :slight_smile:

Ratty+1

Jimshoe-1

Am I the only one who has found that louder pipes improved my riding? Being able to really feel the thud, thud of the engines beat means I’m always aware of engine/ road speed and much more likely to be in the right gear at any given time. Now IMO my bike makes a great sound when I’m riding it well (i.e.rarely!;)). When I’m bowling along it’s not a high revving il4-type screech just a nice low burble. Okay so as I pass by a pedestrian going up through the gears it probably gets a little loud for a second (I’ll admit I have seen one guy actually wince and grab his ear- but that was an exception :)). I really can’t understand how a couple of seconds of engine noise could really upset or indeed damage anyone. Of course for mums with babies and OAP’s etc.- I always back off the throttle and cruise past prams, zimmers etc.

Even with louder cans in the end it’s down to the individual to moderate their riding/ the volume levels according to the situation. I now tend to gently blip the throttle to warn pedestrians etc. rather then the horn. The reason it is much more effective is that they are made fully aware that if they don’t hop out of the way they are likely to get a lump of heavy machinery on their toe. Some people really need this level of wake up call before they get out of the way. However loud the horn (and mine is pretty loud) it just doesn’t convey the necessary menace IMO.