Battery Charger

Seriously consider Mobile Scooters if you need to get it fixed asap.

Hmm yeah,drive ye mad, but its till gotta be a lack of electrical input as far as i know. Cold won’t effect the air the engine breathes, nor the fuel It drinks (cept in extreme cases) so it only really leaves the spark/s to ignite.

Wish I could give you a better solution, though guys I used to speak with on R6 messagenet, well loads of them considered it the norm to put theyre battery on charge every night in the winter as they were all running security off theyre systems.

Gof - if all else fails you should be able to bump start it.

though I doubt if that’s easy to find on a November morning in Blighty

I’ll give them a call tomorrow. I’m just a bit loath to spend £50+ on putting in a £30 battery.

From GoF’s mail I understand a battery could fall within a warranty, which would be good, as I’ve got another year to run on mine. Must call them tomorrow. They quite cheekily charge the congestion charge to me, though.

Would have thought you’d get a new one on it. Who did you buy it from?

BMG in Richmond. Normally comes with one year’s warranty, but I opted for the three-year one. Must dig out the paperwork to see if it’s covered.

Mini Mo, thank you. I was just looking for that image.

Thanks Chris for the reminder.

Paivi, let him have a gander - get a second opinion and get and Optimate. They’ve got baby crocodiles not big car sized ones.

Chris - you can swing up here tomorrow/today and take it to her if you fancy the knight on a white horse trick…

Hi Paivi

I know its a pain but batteries can go in 2yrs especially on smaller machines, and those that aren’t left on trickle charge. Might be able to get it replaced on warranty and get charging checked as well. If you do have to replace battery make sure you get a decent one not cheapy as they just do not last as well especially when you dont have facilities to run an optimiser or work on it without loads of hassle…Hope it gets sorted soon

The battery would have been under warranty for just the first year, not any longer. It’s started first time both yesterday and today, but in the evening, as I leave work it’s very sluggish (immediate sharp U-turn, followed by going round the bend (ha ha) on an incline in a carpark).

So, need to buy a new one on Saturday. Where can I get them? Just from garages? How do I know I’m getting a good one, as opposed to something it came with? Are there any good makes out there?

Once I get one, I’d really appreciate some help in replacing it, as I don’t have any tools or any idea about, well, anything really…

Hey Paivi - the battery only supplies the power to start the motor, after that the battery gets re-charged by the motor running.

so if it starts ok - but runs rough it usualy means theres some other problem.

However it will seem a bit rough/powerless if its freezing cold - thats just the motor warming up, not to do with the battery.

Hope that makes sense

Paivi

1. Are you anywhere near bullet MC on New Kings Road they have the battery for ya scoot

speak to James on 020 7736 3811 good bloke tell him Mike from M9 told ya to phone.

1. It needs to be looked at as the batt should charge when the bike is running sounds like its not taking the charge from the bike try the conections e.g. both terminals are done up and making a good contact.

Hope this is some help

I just place a question on my mechanic evening class and the replay was that your batery shold be able to cope with the cold! The suggestion made was, if yu have anything , but anything that didn’t come from Piaggio connected on the bike ? Take it off! yor bike generator should be recharging your battery at 13/15v constantely while you are running and it will vary acording with the engine speed.

If you have a hitted grip for example it can have the extra bit energy your battery suppose to get to recharge ie: You need over 12v produced for the generator to charge a 12v battery, if it’s producing 13.5v and you have an intercom, CD, heatted grips etc. it will steal the energy and you will get a flat battery as soon as you use it’s charge!

Hope it was clear enough for you Paivi, I have seen you with a cd Player, hope its not powered from the bike?

How annoying not having internet access at work! Hope to get it sorted out soon.

Cezar: don’t have anything on my bike to drain it, except for the immobiliser. And, of course, the lights come on immediately I turn the ignition on. The MD player runs off chargeable batteries, as will my mp3 player, once I decide which one to get.

It’s been OK since Monday, but can’t risk it and as people are saying, there is obviously a problem. So, will go out shopping on Saturday.

Mike: I’m close enough to Bullet, so will swing by to check them out. Is there a particular brand I should look out for? Do you think they’ll charge me for changing it, and can it be changed without any special tools?

Any good quality one I will warn James that ya might pop by on Sat

the only tools are basic e.g. screw driver etc, etc, no wurries