Avoiding animals

Just read about Ally’s off involving a squirrel. (GWS ALLY!)
I dont know the details but it got me thinking…swerve or not?
I’ve had a couple of times where foxes have either ran across the road or been sat in the road. I usually give a horn blast and have found that’s quite effective at getting them to get a move on. (Better than blipping the throttle)
Had a time where a fox cub ran to the kerb and as I slowed, it ran back in front of me to get to the other side. Had I released the brake, having seen it clear the road, we’d have met when it ran back.:w00t:
I usually try and stay upright and just brake hard. My thinking being if I swerve and it runs, there’s a chance im going to hit leant over. Anyone (else) had any animal encounters/offs. What did/do you do?

Brake if possible (don’t want someone rear ending you), otherwise as you’ve said straighten the bike and hope for the best!

I’ve hit a couple of pheasants, both at speed. Bike had a slight twitch but was ok. Can’t say that about either of the birds…

“I’ve hit a couple of pheasants, both at speed. Bike had a slight twitch but was ok. Can’t say that about either of the birds…”
Wheels over or hit fairing etc?

I hit a badger coming round a corner in the dark. All I could do was straighten the bars. Hit it hard, killed it, both wheels in the air then landed OK. There was even badger hair between my rim and tyre bead! It left some sort of white, creamy badger gunk on my fairing the dirty animal!

Ask the resident forum Sheep Killer.

Ninja junkie? Ahh, that explains the avatar :slight_smile: Havent heard the story though…

run the poxy thing over!

squirrels & pigeons i aint budging for…

had 2 incidents with deer this summer around the Essex lanes, first time got lucky and all 3 bolted into the forest, was already on the brakes and beeping the horn like mad!

2nd time was in the NSL, spotted it, thought it was a dog at first, then realized it was a deers as it bolted out in front of me, brake! brake! brake! brake! trying NOT to look at the deer ( where you look you go) the deers stopped and divvied as to which way to go…got within 1/2 a foot or so of hitting me, bloody close call hitting a deer at that speed - on the brakes or not- would not have been pretty, BUT if i had hit it i would have held on as much as possible.

had Foxes do the same thing too, in town as well! and cats!

sorry but i aint risking an off just to avoid hitting an animal, if I’m gonna hit it I’m gonna hit it, unless its a deer or dog, they a bit big, but still if its dump the bike or hit it I’d rather take my chances and hit it.

My granddad’s advice when I started driving at 17 was not to brake as an animal would likely stay put or move slowly out of the way. He always reckoned you should keep your speed up and maybe dip the clutch and give it some revs and any animal would move out of your way sharpish. Worked ok until a sheep ran out of my way one day but to the side of the road with the crash barrier, so then made a dash for the opposite side of the road - when I hit it at 50mph. Irony was it was my granddad’s Toyota that I was using, it caused £1400 worth of damage, and to add insult to injury, after a couple of minutes of lying on the road wheezing like it was at death’s door, it got up an ran off up the hillside :angry:

i beeped at a squirrel crossing the road once too, it was an instinctive reaction on my part but that made him froze and come back to his ways, i was laughing so hard at that :laugh:

you should also wait for mr Jets to write about his experience. :smiley:

I have been lucky I have hit a dead fox and badger straght on and managed to keep the bike up allmost hit a bunny doing about 95 that was a serious touching cloth moment.

My pal said it went between my rear and front wheel.

Someone I know hit a dead squirrel on his drz had a tank slapper and ended up brakeing his ankle.

My mate drove into a sheep in the moors doing about 50mph - it embedded itself into the radiator pretty well. Wouldn’t fancy it on the bike.

I think the rule is, if they look up from eating grass, they’re probably about to run out in front of you.

Sheep are stupid, somebody should invent a tree that grows wool & lamb chops so we can get rid of the pesky things.

One was wheels over, that was the worst one in bike shake but no mess on me. The other one hit the front fork, engine casing then boot, had to jet wash the guts and feathers off :smiley:

I think anything bigger than a fox, is going to be a problem. Ive run over plenty of dead things on the bike, but usually theyre flat by then :smiley:
I ran over a cat in the lorry. You know the itchy and scratchy cartoons where the cat’s eyes pop out on stalks? Not nice :sick:

I think it was scorch was behind me when I killed a squirrel on a rideout , I never even twitched or did any attempt at anything, natural selection eventually they will learn to cross roads . I also killed many other things including fox , 2 cats , 1 dog and an owl and various other birds and beasts , once got 3 partridges on one corner … Yummy they were :smiley: . None ever caused me to come off and only the fox gave me sore thumbs cos it gave me a bit of a tank slapper on a bike with no bump stops . Most inconvenient one was a chicken wrapped all around the sprockets and chain of a CR500 , I eventually thrashed it all out of there but it took a while .

I remember going for a curry somewhere in the east end a number of years ago with a mate and there was an Asian shop selling fabric and sequins and all that stuff for making saris. It was called Touching Cloth :smiley: My mate took a photo of it.

I remember in rural Kenya on some dirt tracks driving a well knackered old 4x4 - a chicken ran out on me and I had 2 choices - violent swerve (and risk going over) or kill the f*cker.

The screams of “chicken murderer” from my passengers (they were gap year do gooders) said it all. Your life or an animal’s? No contest imho :slight_smile: Told them to grow some f*cking balls and stop being so stupid.

I swerve for animals to avoid possible problems in the afterlife

“I think it was scorch was behind me when I killed a squirrel on a rideout , I never even twitched or did any attempt at anything, natural selection eventually they will learn to cross roads . I also killed many other things including fox , 2 cats , 1 dog and an owl and various other birds and beasts , once got 3 partridges on one corner … Yummy they were . None ever caused me to come off and only the fox gave me sore thumbs cos it gave me a bit of a tank slapper on a bike with no bump stops . Most inconvenient one was a chicken wrapped all around the sprockets and chain of a CR500 , I eventually thrashed it all out of there but it took a while.”

Fek me Num Num! When I asked if people should swerve or not, I didnt mean at them! :wink: :smiley:

Took me hours to get the blood out of my goretex :crazy:

I swerve for hot chicks :slight_smile: