Average speed Cameras on the A406

Is A406 system active now?

^apparently goes live in 2016

A month ago I would say the cameras on the A40 made a big difference to the general speed of the surrounding traffic. Everyone seemed to be sticking to ±40 mph.

But increasingly in the last week or so I notice my speed has crept up and notwithstanding that I’m being passed like I’m standing still.

In fact not only am I being passed but it feels bloody vulnerable trying to do the speed limit and having idiots zooming past particularly, as happened this evening, when I was in lane 2 westbound near where lane 1 turns off for Shepherd’s Bush, and two morons overtook me in lane 1 with barely enough space for them to get back into lane 2 before the turn. It was a brown-trouser moment. Plodding along waiting to be wiped out is not very appealing.

Do I really have to follow this speed limit, or can I get back into lane 3 and go at my normal speed? It was so much safer.

Fully agree with you Michael748. The stretch between East Acton and Paddington on A40 seems alot more dangerous now than it has ever as it’s full of traffic and there are still a number of cars passing me by when my speedometer is telling e 48mph!

I blame fucking TFL for this

Any one knows when do we need to slow down on a406? 

They haven’t put up any average speed camera signs yet but I’ve been sticking to the limit so I know how much longer my commute will be.

Most people going slow on a406 now. Do we know if its on now? Some people still go over 50 like in a good old days :slight_smile:

Yesterday noticed interesting stunt on a scooter; rider was doing “superman” and using his left boot to cover the number plate going past average camera… is this the future? :D 

Im a great fan of positoning myself front and right of an artic

Im a great fan of positoning myself front and right of an artic scorch
+1

Good tip :smiley:
Was it on the news?
YES - they’re on
NO - they’re off

An up date they go live in June 2016.

I remember when all this were now’t but fields, well I don’t actually but I do remember when you could hoon it round the 406. Glory days.

Im a great fan of positoning myself front and right of an artic scorch
Who taught you to play that game :-)

Many thanks for the update

Has anyone spotted those drivers who slow down before the markers like the average detection cameras are your regular gatso ones… I’ve seen a few.

Are the cameras forward or rear facing?

Are the cameras forward or rear facing? IanWilliamson

I never remember how this terminology works.  I would say a forward facing camera is one that faces the direction of travel and therefore snaps a picture of the rear number plate.  Is that everyone else’s understanding?

Anyway, by my definition above, the ones on the North Circ are forward facing

they are the same as the ones on the A40, otherwise called rear facing

they are the same as the ones on the A40, otherwise called rear facing silveR6
Thinking about it forward facing and rear facing are the same thing, facing forwards therefore facing the rear of the vehicle as it goes past.  So the camera pointing in the other direction should be called rearwards facing or front facing, again both terms meaning the same thing...

Sorry… I’m bored

Just happened to be reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36153451

Height-based car seats, known as 'i-Size' seats, must be rear-facing until the child is over 15 months old.
A child can use a forward-facing car seat when they are over 15 months old. Excerpt

Usage here implies that forward facing is the opposite of rear facing but applied to the A40 cameras they would be forward facing…

Sorry… boredom continues :slight_smile: