Australia Bike Trip

So, I work for an Australian company (out of London obviously) which has offices in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart and a couple of others (Perth, which might be a little prohibitive) - company has been nice enough to agree to ship me out there for about 8 weeks in August / September, spending a week or 2 in each office. Thought it would be a nice idea to rent a bike and travel between the offices by bike rather than in an aluminium tube! My initial plans are to follow this path:

Brisbane

Sydney

Melbourne

Hobart

Melbourne

Back to Sydney?

After a super quick check it looks like it’d be possible to do all of these leisurely over a weekend or maybe long weekend, and it looks like it’s possible to rent something like a DR650 or F700GS for about $4000AU (~£2000) for the full 60 day period. 

Not too bothered about the cost given the rental period but curious if anyone has done this before, or is indeed Australian, and knows any recommended places to look at for rental, or places to see on the way (bearing in mind I’ll have the bike for the whole time in each of those locations), or any input really 😃

I’m Australian.

It isn’t economical to hire bikes in Australia.
You could buy one and sell it on cheaper than hiring one.
If you are ok with this then go for it- you’ll have a great time.

Think about Tasmania though.
I’m from Tasmania and the boat ride across from Melbourne to Devonport will probably be one of the worst experiences of your life.Google ‘Bass Strait Rough Seas’ to give yourself an idea of what you are in for.
If you do go to Tassie then make sure you do the Huon area- I grew up there- it is absolutely amazing.

I can’t help with a place to hire, but you will usually have to return it to the hire city- it will be more expensive if you don’t.

I'm Australian.

It isn’t economical to hire bikes in Australia.
You could buy one and sell it on cheaper than hiring one.
If you are ok with this then go for it- you’ll have a great time.

Think about Tasmania though.
I’m from Tasmania and the boat ride across from Melbourne to Devonport will probably be one of the worst experiences of your life.Google ‘Bass Strait Rough Seas’ to give yourself an idea of what you are in for.
If you do go to Tassie then make sure you do the Huon area- I grew up there- it is absolutely amazing.

I can’t help with a place to hire, but you will usually have to return it to the hire city- it will be more expensive if you don’t.

hogtrumpet

Cheers for the info - guess I need to weigh up the ease of paying someone a premium to rent a bike, with insurance and maintenance and no need to sell it on at the end with the cost savings of buying a bike + insurance and selling it on at the end.

Luckily I think there’s at least 1 or 2 guys that work in the Sydney / Brisbane offices who ride so might be able to lean on them closer to the time if I decide to go down the buy / sell-on route.

I’m aware of the Bass Strait seas and I’ll just have to see how iron my stomach is, because I need to go to Hobart (people I haven’t seen in years working there!) - thanks for the hint about Huon :slight_smile:

Edit: reading some more, looks like the concept of ‘insurance’ that we have in the UK, which is specific to bike + rider, doesn’t necessarily apply in AU?

Second that, we looked at hiring bikes in Sydney but my god it was expensive. Got a scooter instead and that was still more expensive than a car.