Attn Jay

@Nationa Treasure - screenshot please!

@ NT - HOTDOG!!!

As me_groovy says, there’s no reason to use IE9, you can use compatibility mode on newer IE versions, but I appreciate that sometimes the powers that be just aren’t switched on to the benefits in moving with the times.

Looking into it some more - we can’t support IE9 with the new editor. It’s just too old a browser and I’m loathe to spend development time trying to offer a degraded experience for IE9 when we could be spending that precious time building new features.

Marmablade, are you able to use a different browser?

Jay - how easy is it identify IE9 and use the old editor? It’s not an issue for me - but thinking that someone might join; be unable to post and leave the site…

It always sounds backward in the corporate world - but unfortunately since everyone and their dog decided that thin client delivery over Internet via web browsers was the way forward, critical apps are in use, which then are tied to particular versions - and then upgrade become “very” expensive (especially if these critical app vendors then say it only works with IE9, and not compatibility mode, unless you pay us X amount etc…) There just economics and risk involved with such an upgrade which means you’re left with older versions for a very long time (a previous work was using Office 2003 until only last year.)

Sounds like managers are getting mugged off. We have put men on the moon, we can work out how to update legacy apps.

Regarding IE9 support, it’s not an issue of difficulty, it’s an issue of time. I only have so much time available for development and spending time developing support for obsolete browsers that a very small number of users would use would be taking time away from developing new features the majority of users need. It doesn’t balance out.

Economics unfortunately… but makes sense to drop IE9 support in general.

Ill just use chrome on the laptop instead for the site as I have that too, its just ie I cannot update for work reasons 

IE9 will be out of support next month, which means no more security updates or tech support. The lack of security updates alone is the biggest reason to move. Companies will be left exposed to all sorts of exploits that get engineered from that point. Any CIO/CTO that leaves their company exposed to such risks needs to get their head looked at.

i using chrome on my work PC for the site now so not an issue anymore 

Great, glad to hear it Marmablade.

You’ll have to excuse some of Jay’s bluntness when it comes to legacy systems. Being a total uber IT nerd, he only ever gets the best and latest software - and doesn’t have to experience the laggards of the business world who think it’s a) OK to keep us on old, unsupported and outdated software, and b) stop us from being able to update this stuff. 

But in his defense, I also appreciate a small amount of time with my husband, so yeah - stop using old crap you laggards, we don’t have loads of time for development. Ain’t nobody got time for dat. :smiley:

Give over, I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve worked at more companies that had restricted IT equipment than didn’t. Small businesses, colleges, universities, hospitals, etc, they all had to balance equipment procurement with support costs and a lot of the time that means people don’t get the tools they need to do the best job they can. I’ve worked around more constraints than I care to think about.

The surprise is that in 2015 we’ve had good-enough systems and software for quite some time now. Anyone left behind needs to re-evaluate their strategy and do some learning on tool quality vs employee efficiency.

But yes, aint nobody got time for legacy.

Chrome has some issues with the Reply button too.

Chrome has some issues with the Reply button too. Dr_Placebo
I don't think reply is supposed to work yet. You can use "Quote" though

What are you saying?

Have I got to upgrade from my trusty old 3.11 Network. The guy I bought it from, Bill I think his name was, told me it was the bees knees and once I’d mastered the differences between 3.11 and the ZX81 I’d want for nothing more.

The ‘reply’ text on the right of replies is a visual indication of what type of post it is. It’s not meant to do anything.

is it not a bit redundant though - since the OP is separated at the top…(not like its that important compared to everything else tbh)

It might well be at the moment, Abzero, though in the future we’ll have other types of posts, i.e. albums, votes, etc, so it might make more sense then. But if people are confusing it for a link then perhaps it’s not doing what it’s intended to.

That’s the last thing I was expecting it to be :D 

ic - sounds like its part of a master plan :)