at the petrol garage

It’s their store and they can have whatever rules they want in the same way that you can tell people not to come into your house with their shoes on if you so wish.

Your choice to go there or go somewhere else … me, I’d just rather take 2 seconds to get my lid off and get the fuel I need than bite off my nose to spite my face.

But if you rode off without paying, they could probably run after you and catch you :smiley:

Only ever happened to me once…I walked into the petrol station and spoke to them about it and refused to take my helmet off. Just went back out and waited for them to activate the pump.
Eventually someone else activated the pump and everytime I went back there I had no problems.
I have been made to pay in advance before though which didnt really bother me as it was the middle of the night and I think they made everyone do it

I stopped at the garage at the junction of Oxestalls and Evelyn St, must be 18months ago and was asked to pre pay because i was a motorcyclist and they have had drive aways on scooters - fair enough, do you have the same problem with cars? I asked, yes the manager replied but no, we dont make cars pre pay. Needless to say i carried on and refuelled somewhere else. This may have changed in the last year or two and i tend to use pay-at-pump now. Only time i’ve ever had a problem.

Luckily Ive never been asked to remove my lid but I have been using the same garages for the 3yrs Ive been riding so would have thought they recognise my bike by now considering its normally at the same time and the same teller that I see week in week out

The only time I have ever been refused fuel and asked to take of my helmet I asked why. I was advised that it was company policy. I then asked me to show them the company policy. They couldnt and they then let me fill up. Always be polite and it’s amazing how nice people become.

to be fair, i have left helmets on mirros while fuelling, its a pain in the sphincter when it decides to free itself from its mooring and roll accross the forecourt. not to mention the having to purchase a new one one. still, making a point like that is kinda cool but also a bit ott, the operatives you are served by should be using a bit more common sense, if the garage is packed and everyone wants to get a move on,…just let folks fill up, if its quiet then request the lid is removed.

ta dah,…solution…

I’ve been asked twice. one at the one leading to stamford hill (I left and went to the next one) and in herts and I was told it’s because the camera is at the front so they can’t catch motorbike number plates.

My local Tesco garage did try this on me but I pointed out that as one of their staff had just been jailed for hiding a camera above the chip and pin reader and cloning cards that I was as weary of them as they were of me. Funnily enough, I was in there one day paying for fuel when a car did a runner witout paying. The driver was a little old lady of about 80. Apparently she does it all the time and when stopped say it’s cause she is old and “forgets”. Must try that one.

Indeed. I understand they can make there own rules. I just felt victimised as a motorcyclist. I felt humiliated being told in a shop full of people “take your helmet off and pay first” I felt like I had done somthing wrong. Should I be treated different just because I ride a motorcycle? Is it fair? I felt my human rights were breached. Prohibition of discrimination…

I have had this happen a few times, it is very frustrating and annoying, so I vote with my feet and never go back. I know a £20 tank of fuel isn’t going to hurt them much but it’s principle to me.

I would always chose a pay at pump place as it saves hassle.