Anyone out riding sunday?

Was talking to NT yesterday. I’d missed that you were unwell. (Appologies) Thought it was the bike that was unwell. Hope to see you guys soon x

Now you know how I managed to lose my assessor so easily when I failed my x-check. Had to wait for him at one point when he couldn’t get passed a stationary bus ffs. Though all in, I do think IAM is a positive thing, especially for the young, over confident rider who is an accident waiting to happen.

And they do know some excellent routes and cafes (all on the SAM website accessible to anyone)

I’ll be having a look on there, hoping they be the right type of downloadable .gpx files!

Meantime, I found these lurking on a shelf. Perfect for hooking a Zumo up to electrickery, spliced into the side lights wiring will make it a 15 minute job (including tea break) and eliminante the need for a relay which was probably a little OTT anyways.

Attachments

check the grade of the wire NT, I tried those on AndyCR15’s KTM and and the blade didn’t cut the insulation out of the way enough.

Thanks for that me_groovy.

These are the smallest scotch locks (0.5mm² - 1.5mm²) if they fail continuity I have a plan ‘b’ that involves properly cutting through the wire and re-connecting by means of proper crimp connectors :wink:

I managed to splice into my number plate wiring with the larger blue (1.5mm² - 2.5mm²) scotch locks, should have failed but it didn’t and is still all good.

I ended up removing them, cutting back the insulation with a stanley knife and using new ones. kinda negates the point of using them but it worked. 

Whatever happened to solder and heatshrink?

Vibration, solder doesn’t like vibration and is prone to fail

Oh, fair play. Would the wire either side of the joint not absorb the vibrations?

I fitted my speedo by soldering all the wires and i’ve not had any issues so far.

Apart from the vibration solder joints don’t like continuous pushing, pulling or flexing no matter how little of it goes on under such stresses solder joints are a failure waiting to happen. That said what you have may last for some time to come but should the wind blow and it fail you’ll know exactly where to look :wink:

This wiring job involves a Gamin Zumo mounted on or around the handlebar which has considerable movement and taking the live feed from the near by fairing mounted side light wiring that has no movement. No matter how careful the wiring is routed there will be some pulling, pushing and flexing. To resolve this the Scotch Locks may need to be fixed in place once secured to the wiring. Taped to the inside of the fairing panel should be sufficient to ensure the wire flexes and the connection doesn’t.

If the Scotch Lock fails continuity I’ll cut into the wire and re-make the connection with straight butt or bullet crimp connectors, using shrink wrap for added mechanical strength either side of where the wiring enters/exits the connector.

I think you might like this NT http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-S/MIL_S_45743E_3367/

Is that what is colloquially referred to as Rocket Science?

I’m still not getting the solder out :wink: