Anyone have camping gear that I could borrow?

but  note too much weight in that top box, especially when taking a pillion, will cause handling problems

It wont cause “handling problems”. It’ll make the bike handle differently. 

Apparently the two-man tent I had in mind has been claimed already (by its previous owner…) so I can’t lend that. We do have a “big Vango one” but if it’s the one I think it is I’m not sure you’d get that and a pillion on the same bike. I’ll have a rummage in the loft at the end of next week and see if I can find anything, but it may be a bit late for you by then.

That tent in NT’s link is a sure-fire way to guarantee a bad time, though. They’re too small for two roll mats, definitely not comfy to sleep in, and being single-skin you’ll get at least one of condensation or rain on the inside of the skin, which can be annoying. If you’re open to spending that sort of money I’d get a half-decent thing for £35ish and borrow the rest.

maybe this if you stump up the £5 or something for their ‘discount card’: 

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-lombok-2-tent-p359898

Do you have sleeping bags already? Anything useful?

[quote]
Poor guy
-comes on asking for camping equipment
-gets relationship advice. :joy::joy:

Gotta love Internet forums…

Changyammi[/quote

Applogies ,  my Bad…  Didn’t read the message fully :-) 

Thank you for the support 

That’s great. Thanks :slight_smile:

The topbox is useful as a back rest and storing the helmets during pit stops

Haha, I think Changyammi was being on your side there! This forum does have something of a habit of reading the asked question and then answering a different one that it’d rather be asked.

I’m camping as well from Wednesday night onwards.  Heading to the north of England.

If you are thinking of making this a regular thing then I’d suggest you head to Go Outdoors, as for a tent I’d recommend one of these:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-turini-200-touring-tent-p290272

If you are thinking of making this a regular thing then I'd suggest you head to Go Outdoors, as for a tent I'd recommend one of these:

I've just bought something similar for car camping, I was very pleased with its spec and performance in Welsh rain last week, but it looks a bit big to pack on a bike. For biking I'd be inclined to go for the Banshee; has a great reputation among cycle tourers. http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/101122-vango-banshee-200-mid-tent-green.html

In a tent you are looking for hydrostatic head test (waterproofness) of above 3,000; 5,000 would be good. Cheaper tents will be 2,000 and are not worth it. Really cheap ones won’t even quote a figure. Cheap tents tend to have plastic groundsheets and fibreglass poles - which are heavier, bulkier and less durable. Better tents (like Vango’s mid range, and dearer ranges) will have PU coated nylon (6,000 head test) groundsheets and aluminium poles. Silicone impregnated polyester flysheets are stronger than PU coated nylon ones because the polyurethane coating is done at high temperature and it weakens the fabric. Always look for taped seams.

For ground mats, SportsDirect are doing genuine Karrimats (the gold standard of closed-cell foam mats) for £9. Inflatable mats are obviously more comfortable but Karrimats are indestructible. Forget airbeds and pumps - too bulky for a bike - if you want an inflatable mat go for a Thermarest (or copy) self-inflating. Thermarest are the best (and dearest), they make one which compresses down to about the size of a 4 pint milk bottle. SportsDirect do a cheaper copy but it is at least twice the size when packed, and a lot heavier.

See what you can get Cheaply over there … buy it … use it …
Donate /dump it …
Or search for campsites/places that have equipment all set. …
Or glamping

In that case, I apologise :wink:

If you are thinking of making this a regular thing then I'd suggest you head to Go Outdoors, as for a tent I'd recommend one of these:

Kevsta
I've never felt the need to park my bike in a tent (or, from a different perspective, to sleep in my bike's tent). What's the benefit to it? I guess the bike would warm the tent on a cold night while the engine cools, but you might be better served for that by just not having such a ginormous tent in the first place?

Bike in yer tent: Maybe a bit less likely to get yer luggage stolen so saves on having to take everything off.

Also, its nice to sleep next to someone you love :slight_smile:

Thank you for the recommendation and review. Will check it out as an option

I did suggest to my partner that we Park the bike in the tent next to us.
Didn’t go down to well. Doesn’t like the idea of me ‘riding’ the bike all day, then wanting to cuddle up to it at night :smiley:

That’s pretty special

Having a tent large enough to get bike in helps in bad weather and no need to remove luggage etc …
Tent i used for touring ireland and it fitted into the green tent bag on back of bike …Took 10 mins to erect

Enough room to move about and relax …hang wet gear over warm  bike to dry .

Eurohike coniston

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

How is it possible to sell something so cheap?

Disposal camping. For that price, it would stay on the site.

That’s fantastic. Raised a good point, of having cover to load and unload under a cover. And using it to dry off clothing.
Brilliant :slight_smile:

Ah yeah, I’d not really considered wanting to get luggage off the bike and also not wanting to put it in your tent.

As to trying stuff off, that’s why campsites have bars!

to confirm I’m reading this right, you’re going to ride to and from switzerland and for the sake of a couple of nights camping, you’re going to be carrying a full set of camping equipment? seems like a lot of luggage bulk for very little use.