Another update from Hels Bels :-)

Poor woman, just trying to make the world a better place and murdered by cowardly medieval-minded bigots corrupting an essentially peaceful religion and hiding behind it. Bastards. RIP Gayle, stay safe, our Hels.

How anyone could target an innocent charity worker is beyond me. Such a tragedy that someone trying to help others should be lost in this way. So sad for her, her family and all those who she undoubtably would have helped in the future had she lived on. RIP

I don’t know but from what you say I guess you want to stick to it Hels but shouldn’t the charities out there be seriously considering bringing their people home after this incident?

Relieved this isn’t you Hels – like others, when I heard the report I immediately thought it might be. RIP to the poor lady and condolences to her family.

Frightening stuff. I couldn’t do what you do.

They should either seriously upgrade their security arrangements or pull out.

The Taliban have changed their tactics - as they are in stalemate with NATO militarily they are going for soft targets, including NGO staff and local tribespeople who have turned against them.

War zone or no war zone - The charities have a duty of care to their employees - they have to make a realistic assessment based on the level of threat and their ability to protect their staff from this threat. 100% safety can never be guaranteed in these situations - but appropriate security provision should be. If they can’t provide this level of cover then they have to be realistic and pull out of the area.

I agree - although most charities here have very tight security regulations - some are more laid back. One thing we have been taught is you always vary your routine. This poor lady walked to work, every day, same time. She was obviously staked out weeks before - because this is how these people operate. They wait, watch, plan how they are going to target someone and get them at their most vulnerable point. So, anything suspicious - idling cars, people hanging about watching, anything, has to be noted. There is no 100 percent security, but there are ways to minimise risks - where you go, your routines, how you go, how you behave - all these things are important. Not giving details of one’s location, using code when radioing in - this is how things are here now.

There is risk assessment done about withdrawal too, at what stage it is appropriate. So most charities do a huge amount of work re risk assessment, although, as you say, it is never 100 % guaranteed.

Anyway, hope to be home in one piece - although this has made people think - and we are not sure what the fall out will be.

Love to all

H xxxx