And so it's happened...

What I mean is, surely the police will prosecute anyway - they won’t need Cypher to press charges as they’ll have the CCTV evidence.

When I went through the process, they pass it onto the Road Traffic Police who will investigate within 60 days, during this time you can opt to drop the case which I did after agreeing a sum with the Driver.

I like that penalty table a lot! :slight_smile: “Failing to stop after an accident or failing to report an accident” definitely sounds applicable.

A minute ago got CC’d into the email where the PC is requesting the CCTV footage so fingers crossed it won’t take too long.
I’ll keep you posted. Should be fun!

And the best news? No-one tried to nick your bike! Hopefully that’s a relief no matter what the CCTV shows

sorry to hear this dude. just to say the forks are probable just twisted in the yokes easy enough to happen and easier enough to sort. im sure if you need someone from hear can pop around and take alook for you im in south east london and if your close i will happily pop by and take a look and bring some tools to try and sort it for you =]

My day just became so much better.

25 minutes after receiving the CCTV footage request email I received another one with the following text:

"We have carried out an initial investigation. Following this, your crime has been reviewed to see whether there are opportunities for further investigation to identify a suspect. In particular police have already taken into consideration whether forensic evidence exists and can be recovered; whether there are witnesses who can be identified; or whether there is CCTV that covers the actual location of the crime and is feasible for us to view.

As a result, it has been concluded that at this time unfortunately there is insufficient information to proceed, and that the specific investigation into your crime will now be closed.".

So, there you go. Something to remember. If you ever bump a car or damage someone else’s property without them seeing it, don’t stand around or leave any details. Just drive off as no one will come looking for you anyway.

Thanks to someone, I now have a nice hefty bill on my hands and a broken bike, which I still need to get to someone to repair it.

That’s bo11ox news mate. Can’t you request a copy of the cctv yourself? Even if the number plate isnt clear, it might give you an idea of the make/model.

I definitely will. The guy parking next to me says he requested the footage once when the “kids” from that school were vandalising his bike and received it so here’s hoping that I’ll be able to get it too.

If you need your bike fixing call Rob Brown, one of LB’s favorite spanners 07912991715

Highly recomended! Much more reasonable than going back to the dealer

You should be able to get the cctv footage under the FOI act shouldn’t you?

I’d also be getting in touch with the police directly (starting with the guy you met and then working up from there if you don’t get a satisfactory answer) to question why the available evidence isn’t being used. It may be that they’ve checked the CCTV and can’t see anything but otherwise it’s not right that the case should be dropped so soon.

Someone who’s happy to drive off after a crash is not someone I want on the roads, it suggests they don’t give a crap about others on the roads - not to mention the fact that there may be other reasons for them not wanting to stop (no insurance maybe?)

Thanks, @KTM D! I’ll give him a call today. Do you know if he comes to you or do you need to arrange the delivery to his garage?

@monkimark - those are some valid points. I emailed him yesterday evening after receiving the “case closed” email to ask what happened but he hasn’t responded yet. I hope it won’t take too long for him to do it.

I’m pretty sure that’s only for public bodies, not a private operator.

on the government website regarding private cctv it says this

When can CCTV images be disclosed?You have the right to see CCTV images of you and to ask for a copy of them. The organisation must provide them within 40 calendar days of your request, and you may be asked to pay a fee of up to £10 (this is the maximum charge, set by Parliament). This is called a Subject Access Request. You will need to provide details to help the operator to establish your identity as the person in the pictures, and to help them find the images on their system.

You’ll want to be quick though as they probably don’t get stored for long.

Called Rob a minute ago and he said “you don’t even need to take it anywhere”. Said “ask someone to hold the handlebars with full lock to the left and just whack the wheel back into its position. It’s as simple as that” :slight_smile:

Gonna have a go tonight and maybe I can have an almost ridable bike tomorrow morning, minus a broken brake lever.

Another update if anyone’s even interested any more :slight_smile:

Just called the police station to ask what was going on and why did the case get closed.

A nice lady picked up, found my case, went through the details and said: “Oh, don’t worry about that. The cases travel between different deptartments and someone probably didn’t see the note saying that they’re awaiting reply from the building management company and sent an email that it was closed. In reality it’s not closed, it just takes time as we have quite a few of them and the I’ll leave a note for the PC to get in touch with you when he’s back at work as we don’t work Mon-Fri, we work shifts”.

Gotta love the fact that someone just goes through them in an eeny-meeny-miny-moe fashion and randomly closes without even paying attention to what’s happening.

Kind of good news then, I’d still be chasing for the cctv myself just in case…

Morning mate, sorry to hear this, i had that a few years back when i parked my bike on its centre stand, came back and found it on its side stand. Caused me a load of hassle and the ****** had just fucked off, luckily an independent witness saw the reg number and the van, reported it to the police and luckily they caught the guy and he admitted that he had knocked it over, so i was lucky and got it all repaired through this wankers insurance.

Hope you get yours all sorted mate! The MT-09 is a great bike, nearly looked at one before my Street Triple.

So, a quick update…

Managed to fix the wheel myself - did what Rob said, just kicked it back into its position, didn’t even need anyone to help me.
The brake lever arrived on Saturday so already fitted that too and rode away to help my friend move after noon.

Yesterday morning went downstairs to go to work and met my neighbour who parks right next to me. First thing he says to me is “Mate, look at my front wheel”. I have a glance and his is damaged the same way mine was - pointing slightly to the right! First we thought it was another car, straightened the wheel the way I did with mine, cursed a bit and decided to speak to the security in the evening.

During the day I received an email from the building management saying that she would ask the guard to review the footage and inform us on the further development.

Before I got home, the other guy already spoke to the security who said that 2 guys can be seen coming in with bolt cutters and trying to steal his bike! That was on Saturday 12:30pm, while I was away.

As an added bonus, the camera pointing at the bikes has been conveniently broken for 2 weeks and the one pointing at the gates through which they entered only shows 2 men in hoodies with bolt cutters. Of course no faces can be seen. Also, they had “no idea” about my incident as they haven’t got anything in the log books.

So I was right after all, it wasn’t a car driver, it was some c**ts coming after our bikes. Not happy at all to say the least. If they were brave enough to come to our backyard in broad daylight, on sunny Saturday afternoon, then they might keep trying as they know that no one’s really watching them.

I’m planning on doing the same as @GreenNBlack in his other thread and fit a tracking device so that if something happens I can still locate the bike. Hence, I guess the same question as he had - anyone knows of any good tracking kits/companies?

I’ve looked at http://www.acutrac.co.uk/ and https://www.roadangelgroup.com/biketrac.aspx (as @ruthless1728 suggested). Any others worth considering?

Thanks for all replies as always!

How thick is your chain? you want the links to be 16mm or thicker and the bolt croppers won’t bust it. I’d also get a cover fixed down with an alarmed disc lock so if they try to remove it the alarm goes off - hopefully would be enough to spook them in an overlooked car park.

Better still, see if you can find an alternative parking spot for a bit. Maybe inside the security guard’s office since he’s obviously incabable of dealing with anything outside.