Alarms, Locks and Stuff

Hoping to get my first big bike soon, and being tempted by a new (or nearly new) MT-07.

My bike is parked on my drive each night, but in a secure car park during the day.  But due to it being on the drive overnight, and the fact bike theft is obviously a worry, I have been thinking about what I need to fit or have in place when I do get a new bike.

For me an anchor is a no brainer, but does anyone have a recommendation for a top chain?  How about disk locks…any recommendations?

I am also certainly going to fit an alarm, and going to try and get this included on any deal for a new bike.  Does anyone have any experiences or feedback?  My cat likes to jump up on the bike and have a little kip on the seat every now and then, so I don’t want an alarm which is super sensitive.  However, I do want a decent quality one that I can rely on.

Thoughts much appreciated.

get a good bike cover

I wouldn’t worry to much about an alarm just get an alarmed disc lock

I have a cover (not a good one mind), but I just find it a pain having to get it all off every morning.  I know that’s really lazy, but from your experience what do you see as the pros of having a good cover?

I just think an alarm would give me more piece of mind when I go to bed each night, and also reduce my insurance…

I lock my cover & if they cant see they don’t know

Hoping to get my first big bike soon, and being tempted by a new (or nearly new) MT-07.

My bike is parked on my drive each night, but in a secure car park during the day.  But due to it being on the drive overnight, and the fact bike theft is obviously a worry, I have been thinking about what I need to fit or have in place when I do get a new bike.

For me an anchor is a no brainer, but does anyone have a recommendation for a top chain?  How about disk locks…any recommendations?

I am also certainly going to fit an alarm, and going to try and get this included on any deal for a new bike.  Does anyone have any experiences or feedback?  My cat likes to jump up on the bike and have a little kip on the seat every now and then, so I don’t want an alarm which is super sensitive.  However, I do want a decent quality one that I can rely on.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Redwez

Do not bother with the alarm, unless it is to get a good reduction on your insurance (at least the value of the alarm). They are only good at fucking up your battery. Nobody gives a toss if they come off. I wish I could rip off mine from my bike.

The cover will at least help with rust…remeber to acf50 everything :wink: Almax chains are universally touted on this forum (mention Aceman sent you and you might get a discount.) Get a ground anchor that can take it and make sure you lock through the frame.

I used to use an Oxford Stormex which has locking loops to lock it down to the front and rear wheel. Even with all the keys it was still a bit of a mission to get off so could easily put the thieving element off.

Some interesting views on alarms…When I spoke to my insurance firm, they seemed pretty keen for an alarm to be fitted if the bike wasn’t in a garage.  Will have to make sure its a good one if I do get one though it seems.

Almax do ground anchors as well

& if you can get it to fit consider fitting an Anti Pinch Pin

I think the Y-anchor is what I’d go with when I get a chance to put one in. 
@Redwez - if you get an alarm, install one of those battery charger things which allow you to plug the bike in (instead of taking up the seat…) so you can charge the bike easily when the alarm drains your battery…

good shout @abzero these are the kind of things I need to know about…otherwise I will learn the hard way!

Almax chains are the best you can get.  They destroy the teeth of bolt croppers, check out www.almax-security-chains.co.uk .  Say I referred you, and you may get a discount of the delivery price too.

Cheers Aceman!

When you have your bike join us on the MT07 UK Owners club on Facebook. Lots of good discussion on there.

I use just a disc lock when in town, but an Almax through the rear wheel when left overnight.

I don’t think the MT-07 is too high on thieves shopping lists - haven’t heard of many of them getting pinched.

When you have your bike join us on the MT07 UK Owners club on Facebook. Lots of good discussion on there.

I use just a disc lock when in town, but an Almax through the rear wheel when left overnight.

I don’t think the MT-07 is too high on thieves shopping lists - haven’t heard of many of them getting pinched.

Beschy
Yet

Oh no doubt they’re a target I’m sure. Just don’t seem to get targeted in the way some of the sportier bikes seem to.

Remember that if you do get all this security and you inform insurers they will make it clear that unless these measures are used your insurance may be void … quickly nip in for a piss and will lock bike up properly after … come out bike gone … it could be a hassle .see what discounts are applied for each measure and see if the harder ones are worth bothering mentioning … eg chained to a ground anchor … disklock … they may save you a small amount but can cost you greatly if above scenario takes place.

Yeah, my insurance didn’t change at all when it went from saying my bike was locked to a ground anchor with some mental Abus thing to when I said it had a £30 Oxford disklock on it. Definitely worth checking if it changes if you put down less security

Very good points.  And hence why alarm may suit best, as I wont have the anchor/chain when im at work or out and about.

Will mention them (and get them) anyway, as it will add more security at home - and again, it will help with my mental state while im in bed asleep…

As TimR says don’t let them add security to the policy unless it makes a massive difference in price.
My policy says one additional lock other than steering and they have to be garaged within 500m of my house.