Akropovic Pipes 2009

After carefull analysis of the 2009 R1, my mind seem to be set on getting one. My only reservation is the hideous exhaust that ruins the view from the rear. After hearing the sound of the cross plain engine on youtube, my heart was won over. But only so because l have the sneaky plan to replace the standard pipes with Akro pipes upon delivery. Well, Akropovic has recently published their exhaust line for 2009 and there is one for the 2009 R1. http://www.akrapovic.com/motorcycle-exhaust/products/yamaha/model/yzf-r1-2009/racing-94/The Full sport system (without muffler inserts) is claimed to give the power a hike of 7.8 HP @5900 rpm. But mind you this (Evolution) system is not road legal but aimed at racers.

For road use, Akropovic now offer their product in three configuration, namely:-

1. End can only (Slip on)

2. End can + Link Pipe

3. Full System

End Can Only

Changing the end can is claimed to give a power hike of 2.4 HP @12480 rpm. (Note without mufflers). It would seem the power gain is at the top end where road usage is unlikely to benefit from. But it would pay dividend on the occasional track days :w00t:

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_street_legal_exhaust_system_for_the_yamaha_yzf_r1_2009_/7658c69b17ad8e5c368a7377d0f4f757.pdf

End Can + Link Pipe

The combined end can and link pipe is claimed to give a power hike of 5.1 HP @ 6000rpm. The power gain for this combination appears to be more accessible for road usage (not that you would need it).

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/ext/user_products/mod1/uploads/products/slip_on_open_exhaust_system_for_the_yamaha_yzf_r1_2009_/503c2f35538e3123fa5886adf495259a.pdf

Observations

It is not clear whether the end can will fit on a standard link pipe. Akropovic have not published any recommended prices for these items either. Something else that may be of interest that is not provided is the loudness of the can in decibels. This is important because what may be road legal in one country may not in another.

Comparing the picture of the Akropovic on the R1 to that of the standard exhaust, one thing becomes obvious; The Akro end can is longer than the standard can. This has the effect of narrowing the visibility angle of the brake lights. In other words, the brake light can only be seen clearly from directly behind the bike. The standard can which is shorter allows a wider angle of visibility of the brake lights. This is an important safety feature.

Besides these little niggly bibs and bobs, the Akro looks wicked on the R1.

Akrapovic are pretty good at getting this sort of data out earlier for new models. Good on em.

The Evolution line has always been the top-end race product, and yep, they’re loud, very loud, perhaps too loud for trackdays kinda loud. You might be able to get a baffle from them, else someone else will make one no doubt that you can just pop in for trackdays that complain.

Obviously Akrapovic produce these power/torque curves without the aid of Power Commanders, it’s just what you’d get if you put the exhaust on. With a Power Commander and custom fueling map, you’d get a much smooth graph. That power graph is pretty crappy in terms of smoothness, I can imagine it feeling rough to ride.

Two obvious comments about that power graph; 1) removal of the SET valve means a power drop at low RPM as the back-pressure is lost, and then dropping the Cat from the standard exhaust gets a MASSIVE improvement around the normal 5k rpm range where EU emission/noise tests are tested at. The Torque curve is pretty nice though as stock! That’s a credit to the new cross-plane firing order engine. I can’t wait to see some graphs with a stage-1 tune on them.

What metrics are those? Rear wheel BHP and nM for torque?

I’ve not discounted the 09 R1 as my next ride either, but so far the 08 GSXR 750 is winning still. The price difference is substantial and for all the new engine is attractive, I’m not sure I want another big-bird bike. There’s also some issues with detailing on the bike, it just seems a bit messy, but looks come second to handling and performance. We’ll see, I’m easily swayed by emotion, and the new engine sounds incredible. If it really has got better traction, then I’d love a test-ride.

Price wise, I’d assume between £1300 and £2000 for the full Evo system.