after reading some1 elses post i looked for my licence too

it was a cypriot international licence, would i be able to take another test out here straight on my fireblade or would i have to start from the beginning on 50cc

and how strict r the police out here if u dont have your licence on your person ? ?

because i wont be going back to get an official copy of my licence for another 3-6 months

you don’t need to carry your licence, if you get stopped, you have 14days(i think) to bring it to your local police station.
don’t know about your taking the test, and starting from 125cc again, but id presume that, at worst, you could do a CBT, and DAS week training thing.

Minimum CBT, Theory and DAS.

However, can’t you get Cyprus to reissue it?

imagines dozens of LB members searching for their driving licences

There’s no such thing as an International Licence. However, Cyprus is in the EU so you can drive and ride here without doing a UK test…HOWEVER, as you don’t have a UK licence you need to carry your Cypriot licence on you at all times…the reason why is: If you get stopped the Police have no way of checking your entitlements so will have to assume you don’t have a full licence or one at all and will seize your vehicle. If you’re carrying your Cypriot licence they can see you are legal and will let you carry on.
I suggest you get your Cypriot licence resent asap otherwise you’ll be spending a day at one of the vehicle pounds.

You have 7 days to produce your docs at a local station.

Know where mine is, I had to send it off to renew the photo. :stuck_out_tongue:

ok it called an international drivers permit and I have one at home so it does exist.

It is used in conjunction with your national license…I had to have it because British traffic police generally didnt believe my foreign license to be real.

also dont you need to change it over if you stay in the country for more than 6 months?

I now have a full Uk license (which unfortunately means i get points on it :pinch: )

and that WILL NOT be a fun day believe me :slight_smile:

Correct, there is such a thing as an International driving permit that is used alongside your licence. But he said International driving licence…totally different thing and if anyone has one that says that across the top of it then they’re false. A lot of people get confused and think a permit is in fact a licence and quite often drive about with just the permit on them and call it an International licence…they’re usually surprised to find out they need to carry their home land licence with the permit as well.

Not if your home land is part of the EU…such as France, Germany and in this case Cyprus. You can drive in the UK on your home land licence till you’re 70 and can do a transfer onto a full UK licence if you want. If however you’re from somewhere that isn’t in the EU, such as America, Australia etc, then you have up to 12 months to drive in the UK. In that time you should apply for a UK provisional and pass your test, otherwise, after the 12 months you will only be allowed to drive according to the UK provisional rules. Also note, that this is a grey area as some people with non-EU licences will go the full 12 months before they apply for a UK licence because they’re worried about being treated as a provisional UK holder. As long as they carry their UK provisional, with their home land licence and International permit and their passport that shows they came into the Country within a 12 month period then they’ll be fine.

actually i did mean european licence …international/european sounds the same to me more or less and i think your right about the international licence being like an extra certificate that you hold with ur licence cos my frieend had to take an extra test back home so he could ride when he moved to australia …looks like im gonna have to go back sooner than wanted to get it re-issued then …

really? damn! i shouldnt have transfered my license over them :pinch: but hopefully it means i spend less on insurance right? :ermm:

I think it is only vehicles that have to be register if you are resident in a country for more than six months.

Technically yes, but most insurance companies recognise an EU licence better than they used to and tend to offer the same pricing on the policies these days. It makes life easier for you. At some point they’ll change the system, eg, if you get stopped for speeding in the UK and don’t have a UK Licence, only a German one, the points will be added to your German licence regardless and vice versa. Its going to happen soon, or may already be on the go now, I’m not sure.

Correct. Once the vehicle has been here for 6 months you need to register it with a UK VRM if its a temporary import and you’re back and forth quite a bit within a 12 month period.

You obviously know what you’re talking about so I’m not telling you that you’re wrong :stuck_out_tongue: just checking …

Two of my friends have full licences in Oz … came here … sent away their Oz licence and were sent back a full UK licence … without doing a UK test … but the back of their licence does have the code “AUS123” or similar on the back - to denote they passed their test there and not here.

Both of them been here longer than 12 months. One of them has hired a car more than once and not had any issues.Is there something dodgy going on there?

Oz is a designated country which means a license can be exchanged. The designated countries are -

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Note that not all classes can be exchanged for all countries etc, so a Faroes or Korean motorcycle license won’t get you a UK license, but a car license will.

The Direct.Gov site explains all.

That’s because they’d changed it over within the time limit. Designated Countries have up to 5 yrs to change it over…I always forget Australia is one of those. :pinch: Some of them have limitations, such as Canada which means you’ll be given a full UK automatic licence unless you can provide further evidence, as well as your licence, to show you have a manual entitlement! :rolleyes:

There’s some weird rules and regs within DVLA. :w00t: