Acoustic cameras

I guess these are likely to be pretty unpopular with a few people on here…

I saw that and thought of bikes.

I suspect it will be years before they are operational. I would imagine like people who challenge radar traps by questioning the calibration of the radar gun, there will be many similar challenges to the first tickets issued. It will probably take a long time before the courts accept a particular workflow.

5 Likes

I wonder how they will exclude background noise or other vehicles.

1 Like

Can we have a Daily Mail camera to fine all those that read that particular brand of BS?

2 Likes

I would imagine they’d use an array of directional microphones pointed along each lane, closely listening to a very specific corridor where the vehicle would travel down, and then use digital signal processing to eliminate non-vehicle noise.

If the aim is to drive away the ridiculous cans from certain roads, you wouldn’t need to prosecute - just issue a producer to each violation - I imagine most people would grow tired of having to traipse to the MOT garage and would just leave the baffles in or avoid that stretch of road.

1 Like

Looks like a few people have been getting letters in the Sloane Street area
"The cameras were activated more than 130 times in the first 11 days since being switched on "

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RBKC/status/1319554060614205440

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 09.31.30

FZ6 Fazer :+1:t2:

Are you admitting something there? :wink: :thinking:

I did zoom in to double check before posting lol

1 Like

good think i havent commuted into london lately! :smiley:

1 Like

if there is no MOT noise check how are they prosecuting bikes?

One of the antisocial behaviour laws probably. There is delivery guy around Fulham with a straight piped 125. Annoying as hell hearing him go over and back all evening.

1 Like

Some of the pizza delivery guys near us have this as well, maybe the same one!. As annoying as hell, you can follow his journey by the sound alone for miles.

If it clamps down on this sort of ASB, I am in favour of it.

All an MOT certificate proves is you passed the requirements of it on the day and time at which it took place. It has no relevance to the legality or otherwise of the condition of a vehicle at any other time.

Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 is what prohibits anti-social noise.

Regulation 54 of the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986 prohibits changing the exhaust to make it louder. Regulation 57 prohibits using an exhaust that is “not for road use” (trade of which is regulated by the Motor Cycle Noise Act 1987), and sets a maximum sound limit on any exhaust fitted.

They could introduce a Public Space Protection Order, under section 59 of Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, against excessive noice at the location of an acoustic camera, and can then just issue Fixed Penalty Notices for breaching the order as allowed by section 68.

There are options.

2 Likes