Ace Cafe Reunion 2006 Weekend & Ace Day - continental run from Germany

Hi Londonbikers,

because i don´t get much response in our german board´s, i would ask this here:

Are there any other German bikers out there who hook up and ride to Acecafe London Reunion at the 8. of sept starting @Cafe Hubraum in Germany?

Forum member V2 give me this hint as we meet unexpected on the MCN Motorbike London early this year. Thanks by the way…

And now i am on the way getting my bike ready for this tour.

Eventually can someone answer a few questions:

1. I found this hotel seems close to the ace. Is it? And also it´s safe to park the bike in this area? http://london-brentcross.holiday-inn.com/
    Or someone has another/cheaper recommendation ?

2. Usually the ride is planned from 8. to 10. sept 2006. But i decided to stay a few additional days. Therefore i think about to stay the complete visit in there. When the tour goes to Brighton at sunday, u think it´s ok to get back to the room in London in the evening to avoid reserving a room in Brighton? (Don´t think to sleep much there :wink: and avoid drinking then)

3. Whats about reaching London city from ace/hotel with bike or tube? A short visit in the lovely center of London i wouldn´t miss.

4. Here in Germany u can park ur bike nearly everywhere in the city; mostly without spending money. What´s about this in London? Is there any chance to get some parkingplace near the great museums or tourist attractions ? Whats about secureness without big chains ?

5. On the ferry: My bike hasn´t a big stand. If i close brakes and use only the sidestand, does this work right?

and at last:

Any biker out there who also plan to start going to Cafe Hubraum on the evening the 7. sept.? Eventually someone to ride with me from Hannover…

thx

greetings and cu at the ace.

Thorsten

Thorsten

A few suggested answers:

1. Think hotel has an enclosed car park so should be reasonably safe, and it is only a few minutes from the Ace.

2. Brighton is about 2hours drive from the Ace if you take direct route, so possible to return but the sea view from there is better than from Brent Cross! Depends on your ability to resist drinking and hate of repacking vs being able to relax when down there.

3. Ace is within easy reach of the centre of London and you will see more by bike than by tube. If you avoid the morning/evening rush should be at Big Ben within 30-45 mins.

4. You cannot just park anywhere here (will get a parking ticket - though not sure if they would follow it up if you live outside UK), normal car style restrictions apply. But there are a number of free marked bike spaces around town - those near offices can get full during the week but generally find somewhere if you check out nearbye streets, and some car parks do also have free bike spaces.

5. On the ferry sidestand and leave in gear is fine, they will then strap the bike down - you might want to put gloves or a cloth under the strap to protect paintwork. Generally they are good at this, watch out for the odd slippery sections of car deck as oil and painted metal do not give great grip. PS I tend to use Eurotunnel these days, can sit with bike, is faster and never been sea sick on it!

Hope it helps, have a great trip.

Ralph

Thanks for answering Ralph.

Yes it helps.

Will do some London City trips Fr/SA evening/night.
Hope to catch some nice pictures with any great background on it from my bike and me :wink:

Thorsten hi,

Ralph’s got you prety right!

1. I found this hotel seems close to the ace. Is it? And also it´s safe to park the bike in this area? http://london-brentcross.holiday-inn.com/
    Or someone has another/cheaper recommendation ?

Brent Cross Holiday is good and as cheap as you get in London.

1. Usually the ride is planned from 8. to 10. sept 2006. But i decided to stay a few additional days. Therefore i think about to stay the complete visit in there. When the tour goes to Brighton at sunday, u think it´s ok to get back to the room in London in the evening to avoid reserving a room in Brighton? (Don´t think to sleep much there :wink: and avoid drinking then)

It might be worth staying in Brighton for one night if you can, its a great town to go out in, lots of good bars and clubs, and small enough to walk around, so you leave the bike at which ever B+B (Bed and breakfast) to stay in and walk aroud the town. For good cheap places (maybe £30-£50 for one night find the sea front between the two piers (nice new one and old kaput one). If you go away from the sea up the roads that are between these two piers you will find many cheap and good places to stay the night.

1. Whats about reaching London city from ace/hotel with bike or tube? A short visit in the lovely center of London i wouldn´t miss.

The Underground is the best bet, if yo want to have a beer. But don’t forget it shuts about 12:30…Night buses go all night, but not regularly and sometime quite confusing routes/.

1. Here in Germany u can park ur bike nearly everywhere in the city; mostly without spending money. What´s about this in London? Is there any chance to get some parkingplace near the great museums or tourist attractions ? Whats about secureness without big chains ?

Its like any city, parking is free where bikes can park (Es schreib Motorycycle Bay auf dem/der (?) Strasse) If it loks like a normal car place, and you park there, oyu will get a ticket. It might not find you in Germany for a couple of years, but it will find you eventually,

1. On the ferry: My bike hasn´t a big stand. If i close brakes and use only the sidestand, does this work right?

NO WAY! Bring tie downs. THe ferry guys don’t really care and use crap old rope. Bring your own tie downs. Better yet, go with Euro-tunnel, price ais about the same and you stay with your bike for the one hour the whole way anyway.

and at last:

Any biker out there who also plan to start going to Cafe Hubraum on the evening the 7. sept.? Eventually someone to ride with me from Hannover…

Mann das waere schon. BIn night in Deutschland fur paar Jahren/ Leide night Thorsten, aber schick mir mal ein email ([email protected]) wannihr seid hier in London. Wir koennen ein mal treffen beim Ace wennihr wolt. Bitte entshculdige auch mein Scheiss Grammtik, Hab kein Deutsch seit langzeit night gesprochen oder schrieben…
thx

greetings and cu at the ace.

Thorsten

All the ferries I’ve ever used (ok except Greece one) are decently organised and will use proper ratched tie downs. Most also have bike ‘grooves’ you ride into. Check out the pics from Dover/France crossing :

shown in the Dunkirk gallery.

Ealing has plenty of B&Bs too if you want something a little cheaper than the hotels, and is not far at all from the Ace. I used to live there…

Thanks for all this useful knowledge.

Now i have reservations made from the german acecafe page. Because i have another date in Amsterdam a few day´s after the reunion i´ve decided to ride with all the other guys and stay in Brighton at sunday and go back to germany at monday.

But i know i will come back with my bike… not far away :wink:

It´s not much time in London, but i hope to find some time to visit one of my favourite restaurants in London: The Tiger Lil´s near Islington. Mhmmmmmmm…

Something different:
Hey V2, we´ve meet at MCN in February. U at the Ace too? Would be nice to drink an beer or two.

@Toby-1-kenobi u got mail.
Edit: Mail isn´t delivered because error of allowed rcpthosts