Abs or not to abs that is the question?

Ola,

Question for all. My current bike doesn’t have abs so cannot really have an opinion on it in terms of a bike.

I’m looking at getting a Honda deauville which has both with and without.

How much of a difference does it actually make on a bike?

I’d assume that if you’re in the situation where your needing it you have bigger fish to fry at that point. But I could be looking at it very simple mindedly…

ABS. No doubt, go for ABS, you will never need it until that moment when you do, and it will react quicker than you can, and it will allow you to remain upright and still be able to manoeuvre.

ABS all the way.

3 Likes

+1 for ABS, its a no brainer and anybody who tells you otherwise is talking out of their hat.

The 250 has ABS and was my first experience with it on two wheels, having had that experienced I’d never consider a motorcycle without ABS. You will probably not notice you have ABS then one it will dawn on you that you can’t remember the last time you locked a wheel up.

No ABS!! it’s bloody dangerous offroading :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but on road, definitely have it.

I’m assuming that you’re looking the Deauville 700. They were discontinued 5 years ago, I’d personally be looking at the NC700/NC750 range. More modern design, still has integrated storage, better MPG, and slighty less mass, and certainly less bulky.

Someone’s account been hacked? A londonbiker asking for opinions on a deauville :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Lol! I knew this was going to happen.

I’m after a work horse that is going to go and go. So more about what it offers than what it can’t. :joy:

Then I’d definitely suggest the NC7x0 or the newer CB500 range as look at what the courier companies run. They run them for a reason, they are great value for money, low running costs. They also ran the CBF600 fuel injection models before moving to the NC range.

1 Like

dullville has the beauty of shaft drive though.

1 Like

Definitely ABS. It’s one of the three reasons that I trading in my 2009 Ninja for the 2016 model. The ABS works impressively well. As does the traction control, which saved my butt when getting on some gravel when exiting a roundabout in a somewhat exuberant manner, cutting in amazingly quick and only allowing the rear tyre to slip out a few inches.

I don’t have ABS on my bikes never had. I believe you should be in total control of the bike. ABS can be dangerous as its sometimes better to lock the front and face plant and skid down the road instead of you read all the way up to here thinking I’m serious didnt you?

3 Likes

but if you get a new bike, who am i going to steal parts off?

simple solution get a SV1000, but ABS isnt an option for those.

for realsies, get ABS if you can, you’ll hopefully never need it but will hate to not have it and need it.

All else being equal I’d take the ABS. I get a little bit embarrassed for motorcyclist when I hear them sprout shite like it “reduces their braking performance” - all very well on track but if this is a daily ride to and from work when your shattered, low on sleep, coming down with a cold etc it’s a no brainer for me

I can’t recall a time when ABS has necessarily saved me but I’m sure it one day will and I’ve definitely tested it inadvertently when riding a bike I’ve not been on in a while finding where the brakes grab…

That said, I’ve covered more miles on bikes without abs than bikes with, it’s only something I’ve acquired relatively recently so I don’t think you’d die if you didn’t have it.

If the dullville has honda linked brakes (which I think it does?) and ABS then be warned, it is a deeply unpleasant experience to bleed - at least it is on the vfr12. An experience that has left me feeling mechanically incompetent a few times.

Decent enough looking bikes the deuville, st1100 might well benefit from Honda’s free ULEZ compliance sticker and I think are potentially better value?

Off topic but relevant to the Deauville or any other Honda with the Honda combined CBS ABS braking system - Despite many home mechanics struggling with brake fluid replacement on the Honda CBS ABS braking system it is an easy job and just a question of technique. In brief don’t drain the braking system but use the new fresh brake fluid to flush the old stale brake fluid out of the braking system in the following sequence

From the front brake reservoir flush/bleed 1) front right caliper upper nipple 2) front left caliper upper nipple

From the rear brake reservoir flush/bleed 3) front right caliper centre nipple 4) rear caliper lower nipple, 5) rear caliper upper nipple

Once fresh fluid appears at the nipple move on to the next nipple when all 5 nipples have been flushed you’re done, no need to bleed as this method replaces, flushes and bleeds all in one.

1 Like

My experience is different