A2 restricted license

Im 16 going on 17 in august, and i was considering taking the cbt for a 50cc scooter, but ive decided id rather save up and get a good bike.

My question is:

1. Has anyone taken and passed the A2 restricted license?

2. What would be the best bike to buy and restrict as i would only be allowed a bike with 33bhp(any cc though)?

3. Is it worth paying up to £600 for the test

4. Ive been leaning towards the honda hornet 250 are they any good?

Im 16 going on 17 in august, and i was considering taking the cbt for a 50cc scooter, but ive decided id rather save up and get a good bike. My question is:

1. Has anyone taken and passed the A2 restricted license?

2. What would be the best bike to buy and restrict as i would only be allowed a bike with 33bhp(any cc though)?

3. Is it worth paying up to £600 for the test

4. Ive been leaning towards the honda hornet 250 are they any good?

1. you are not old enough to choose so if its the only avenue open to you then its the only avenue open to you. Either that or you wait another few years.

2. the bike you like is the bike you buy regardless of engine size, the anticipation of it being derestricted makes it all worth while at the end of your probation.

3. the test is worth every penny. your licence is once gained is PRICELESS

4. ive no idea cause ive never been on one.

hope this all helps lol…

get a cheap and **** 125 for a year then sell it, i know you dont want to, noone does, i didnt want to, but i did, i recon youd get boared of the hornet, and as long as your gona do that, get something cheap first then…

even if your still restricted you can get a cb500 er5 gs500 and so on

Ask yourself one question, Do you see biking becoming a big part of your life?, if you do, find the cash and get your A2 licence.

I went from a ped to a GS500, to Bandit6 and a Hornet6 and now a ZX6R :wink:

The 33bhp law is badly thought out legislation and has no defined method of proof . This means what you present to the desk person can be a dyno, written receipt. Dont be fooled by “33bhp Restriction Certificates” that is agressive marketing by a company with all of the market share…

why retrict anything ? especially a big bike , ok there are not a massive number of bikes which are 33bhp ’ off the peg ’ but the honda bros and suzuki goose are for a start .
You will genarally pay more for insurance on bigger bikes and imo a bike designed for 33 will have a better balance of power and weight and is less likely to suffer from ’ breathing dificulties '.

So if i was you i would wait if you can till august then having already bought a cheap 125 take your cbt and spend a few months gettin expereience before doing the theory and A2. then just when bike prices are at there annual lowest pick up a bros or similar for under £700.
If you can, hang onto the 125 for a few months more till values go up in the spring .

you should be able to cut down on the number of days training required for the A2 by gaining riding time on the 125 and you wont have to pay up to £200 to get restrictors fitted .

yeh ive taken and passed mine…if u want a good bike…personal opinion for me…get a CBT…get a cbr125r…learn how to ride, do ur theory test, book a 2-3 day course for about £300 pounds…i took my test on the CBR as i was used to my own bike…and hopefully with what u learnt while on the CBT license you will pass.

you can restrict vfr400’s, sv650’s etc etc…not worth it imo esp cos ur young…i had same dilemma but at 19 i cant get resonable insured on much. plus you will most probably drop or bump the bike at some stage, better you do it on a cheaper 125. ride thru ur restriction for 2 years and you will come out with some good road skills, and at 19ish you can get a supersport or something and be very fast.

in the end fella it comes down to you and you alone what you go for…my little bro wants a 400 in a few months when he’s 17 and does his test, can get them cheaper than new 125’s and the spare money can go on restriction. insurance on an older zxr400 cbr400 etc also works out the same for him as on a new 125. it just comes down to what YOU like, what YOU feel comfortable on etc. just get the test done as then your optins are open and you’ll have better training than at cbt level. then go out and look around and weigh your options

only reason i suggest this is that you can often pick up bikes that are just over 33 break, my er5 is 49, as a result there are cheaper then 33 bhp bikes even if you include the restriction

my er5 with 4800 miles with a load of stuff with it (not including all the shite iv since bolted to it) cost £1000

then if your not gona be in a finatial possition to get another bike when your licance turns full, you can take the resrictor off

but i agree a 33 designed bike will be better then a restricted one cos of dead weight,

its up to you

The reason I want to take the a2 rather than the cbt is the fact I won’t have to wear learner plates and Im able to carry a passenger.

Also is there a big difference between the insurance from a 125cc to say a hornet 250cc, I’m thinking in the long run, because if I get a 125cc and decide I want to get a bigger bike a year or two down the line then I would have lost a canny bit of money, where as if I get a hornet250 and have it restricted then after 2 years I only need to take out the restrictor.

And after the two years can I get any bike I like without taking another test?

errr i dont know, is it 2 years **and ** 21 or 2 years **or ** 21

somone will know,

only point i was trying to make was that you might get bored of the 250, in which case you would loose more money, cos a decent second hand 125, as long as you dont trash it and keep it clean will mostly hold its value, as there is alwase a market for them,

the 250 would, i think, be harder to sell on

I heard there are lots of people looking for hornet 250s

If you’re 21 or over you are able to take the DAS which will allow you to ride any motorcycle of any BHP. If you’re between 17 and 21 hoever you can only take up to your A2, which allows you to ride a motorcycle up to the power of 33BHP for 2 years. Once this 2 years period is up you can ride any motorcycle of any power and it doesn’t matter of your age. So if you end up taking your test and 17 and passing it at 19 you will be able to ride any motorcycle.

Great thanx I think I’m going to buy a bike before I do the test so I can get used to it then take the a2 test

Also what’s the law regarding riding quads on the road, can I ride them on a bike license?

Woah, £600 to do the test is a hell of a lot. I did a two day crash course, with my test on the second day and that cost just £250 including the hire of the bike.

I went out and bought a Honda SLR650, a bike that makes an unrestricted 33.03bhp exactly on the dyno (and i have the printout just in case i’m asked about it). Although it doesnt make much power as standard, it makes loads of torque, and i believe its perfect to start out on. Its good for about 100mph. The only thing is, that theyre quite rare.

Willywils wants an SLR. He knows theyre the best. :smiley:

If i were you, i’d get the theory test out of the way before you book your course, as i found that this reduced the prices by quite a lot.