A bit of a wake-up call...

Bad luck there fella…

instead of the gym!! if your not busy this weekend!! you could go to the masturbation marathon!! haha… i think the details are in the adult section??

im a veteran of that marathon. retired now though, after rsi

i’m in training!! getting pretty good too!!

even people i dont know are calling me a wan**er!!

Ditto on gym etc option.

Speeding down the 20 mph areas would usually warrant a tug - I would imagine - unlike faster speed limits were there might be more tolerance.

Agree with others - don’t beat yourself up. At least you’re aware and smart enough to realise you need to cool it a bit.

Good luck.

If he had sufficient evidence for an easy offence like speeding, he would have given you a fixed penalty notice on the spot. It is extremely unlikely that anything will come of this tug as it just isn’t worth anyone’s bother. The policeman that pulled you knows this and that is why he gave you the unnecessary producer. That producer is the full extent of your punishment. If the policeman only knew that you had to make two journeys to carry it out, he would have a satisfied chuckle to himself.

I would recommend more training eg. with one of the IAM groups. There you can find an observer who will follow you in your normal commuting mode and can point out where you are breaking the law and where he thinks you are endangering yourself.

I also have a policy of overtaking police vehicles wherever possible, but I like to do it in a way that is always within, or close to the law so they have no comeback. An advantage of the training given by the IAM and other “advanced” trainers is that they use the same methods as the police. If you can ride like a policeman then they are likely to leave you alone. Good highway code knowledge helps too.

Out of interest what sort of signs indicated that you were in a “20mph advisory” limit?

Duncan

Cheers for that Duncan, re: the producer, this is what I had thought.

As for indicators that it’s a 20mph advisory, err, a big white 20 in a big circle painted on the road every 200 yards or so along with the plethora of speed bumps, can’t really claim I didn’t know, although from memory there are no posted signs.

Also any time I did cross the white line it was always dashed, round bollards, speed bumps etc. I’m finding I can’t use the, I ride this road every day excuse after seeing the latest Think TV ad aimed at bikers. Chilling.

I was very tempted by London IAM’s cheap membership for younger people, I’ll have to check the bumph I got when I did my BikeSafe.

Cheers everyone.

Jolyon

“As for indicators that it’s a 20mph advisory, err, a big white 20 in a big circle painted on the road every 200 yards or so”

I think they changed the law on that a couple of years ago, and those painted signs are now mandatory. So I have it from Katrina who runs Bikesafe London. Whether you knew it or not, you were “taking the piss” and thus crying out for a tug.

Looks like you got away with it this time. Don’t try it in front of a police car with a calibrated speedo (often indicated by having two blue lights on the roof apparently).

Duncan

Nope.

A police vehicle does not have to be calibrated to do you for speeding.

the officer driving that car can get HIS/HER speedo calibrated by a calibrated traffic car in a ‘follow check’ that , coupled with the officers statement ,would be enough.

fortunately, it’s not practised that often but don’t get complacent with it…

I have no problem with bikes /cars overtaking me as long as:

1. it’s safe.

2. it’s legal.

The passing a vehicle at a red light just sounds like bad luck. I was told on the bikesafe course that although it is potentially a three points offence, you are unlikely to get pulled. Having said that, if I spot a police car I would pull along side instead and I’ve never had a problem doing this.

I’m a bit puzzled by the passing on the wrong side of the road part though. I was under the impression that provided I didn’t cross a solid white line or disobey an instructional sign (eg. the bollards on a pedestrian island), that it was ok, basically covered by overtaking rules. Other than causing another vehicle to change speed or direction, when is this not the case?

On my DAS course (vauxhall metropolis) I was even encouraged to filter on the wrong side of the white line (to stay away from the cars I was passing), when safe, ie no oncoming traffic, obscured roads on the right or near junctions.

Filter on the other side of the line - you’re talking about an overtake there.

Just a quick follow up…

Went down to Islington Station after work today and got the most grumpy service you could imagine. I know it’s not Harrods and they’re unlikely to hold the door for me but still.

First of all the officer seemed really confused by my practical certificate, “what’s this?”, that’s my full bike license certificate, “oh, well I don’t need that”, err, okay. He goes away, comes back, “wheres your CBT?”, here. Do you want my full bike license certificate as well? “Yeah ok, I need to check these on my system, be back in a bit”.

So I continue my G2 crosswork (took the tube today) all the clues oddly seem to be crime related, Reserve of money used for bribery (5, 4); Nick things (6); Kidnap money (6) any way - shortly after getting 4 down he reappears with a form.

He says, “sign here”, I ask, “what is this that I’m signing?” now I’m not trying to be difficult here I just want to know what the f*** I’m signing, from all I can work out from the variety of boxes and columns I could be signing my first born away to gypsies!!!

He gets all huffy and says, “Well it’s just to say that I’ve seem your documents”, I would have prefered to be reassured in some way that NO my first born will not be taken away from me and forced to work fairgrounds for the rest of their life.

I know - I know, he’d probably had to indure; lots of crack heads, shootings, various bodily fluids (not the nice kind) and general ignorant stupidity from the general public ALL day. But me a young innocent looking guy with a simple request could surely have gotten better service than that.

If it was a shop I wouldn’t buy there again.

Here endith my rant - run along, nothing to see.

Jolyon