94 blade swing arm mod

After getting a puncture Sunday I removed both wheels as I decided to have them blasted and powder coated white, the gold just looked out of place to me.
While the bike is on the bench I’ve decided to sort out the last part of the blade that lets it down, the swing arm, I just hate that ugly box section nasty looking thing
See what I mean:

Ugly right?

I’ve just bought this to replace it, Aprilia RSVR factory item.

Same distance from pivot to spindle and the pivot is about the same measurement across, only thing to do is mod the shock linkage mount as this is 2" off-set and it needs to be central (no big deal) the rear brake mount will need some faffing with and a few other bit made but it’ll be a huge improvement me thinks.

Never liked the block swing arm. ugly as lordy!! Good choice!

Cabbie stop before you end up tuning that engine some more aswell!

the rsv has a nice shape frame aswell…bit like the early r1’s

Time to fit the new swinger, here’s the blade ready for surgery

Old swinger removed and 2.5mm removed from the left inside boss

The huger refused to come off quietly so the angle grinder was needed

New swinger in, the Aprilia uses the same diameter spindle so it’s a direct fit (apart from the 2.5mm removed from the left inner boss)

The chain runner is spot on, nice!

Jobs to finish are:

Spacer each side as the blade spindle is 20mm and the Aprilia uses a 25mm spindle

A few spacers to widen the shock linkage to fit the swing arm mount.

And a smaller diameter GP style can as my one hits the swing arm

I’ll get the spacers done tomorrow and post up the finished job, looks nice me thinks?

Made the spindle spacers

Wheel in and finished

The shock linkage mount on the swing arm is 15mm out of line, here’s a spacer set to compensate for this

And fitted

Chain on and running perfectly straight, the adjusters need to be in the full forward position to keep the blade wheel base the same

Slight obstacle is the caliper is 5mm out of line with the holder

Easy to fix, 1.5mm spacers behind the disc

And 3.5mm cut off the caliper lugs

Caliper on and central to the disc

Brake line fitted and bled

That’s it, all done, I’ll have to remove the exhaust to fit the new 86mm diameter can so till it arrives I can’t put the fairing back etc, soon as the pipe is done I’ll post up some finished outside pix.
I’ve ordered some nice blue chain adjuster blocks for a bit of bling, lol

Funny how the frame and swing arm sort of look inline!

all hail cabbie :smiley:

I’m taking the tail unit, subframe etc off and fitting this

I want the GP MotoII look like this but white

hang on so all that work having that gsxr tail put on will be taken off again? nutter

Yes Bazz, it’s got to go :w00t: I don’t like it anymore, I want the moto 2 look with tiny seat unit.

Here’s the new can fitted and finished bike

The Honda RS 125 seat unit will be fitted over the winter and I’ll ONLY sell the gsxr unit when I happy with the RS 125 set up so please stop emailing asking for it, thanks.

Cor thats a very nice looking amchine. You should be well proud! :slight_smile:

Tart Tart Tart Tart Tart Tart

It’s ok we can fit it all to my sv now that it’s needs a whole heap of surgery

Bazz my mate, when are you going to get a proper bike? :w00t:

Here’s how should look with an RS 125 seat

the rear end looks sweet its the front end that needs changing IE the heed lights/top fairing

Putting a different fairing on is not that easy my mate, it’s almost impossible to find one that curves round the engine covers etc so that’s not an option.

I didn’t think the front was that bad looking!

Nice job and a very tidy workshop.:slight_smile:

Old unit gone

This is the RS 125 seat off the Kawasaki project and it’s 3 inches shorter than the RS 125 seat will be when fitted but this give the general look of how it will be

I’ll get the subframe rails mocked up in MDF tomorrow and send them away for CNC’ing.

Little update, started making the subframe TVP’s, I should be posting pix of the seat fitted but It didn’t arrive yet! I feel like I spend all my time waiting for parts.

The seat unit complements the lines of the bike well, good choice.