£60 fine for cyclists jumping red lights

LOL okay I’ll bite… …it was new when I typed it- fact remains two wheelers have as much right to be on the roads as powered two wheelers- get over it. Part of the fun of cycling is winding your way down deserted country roads. Never had a problem either way passing cyclists or when on a cycle being being passed by motorbikes. Since you know your vid showed the motorcylist at fault why did you post it as an example of the cycle being at fault when he clearly wasn’t. Just coz you don’t like something doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a right to exist. :slight_smile:

I dissagree I dont like mosquitos and dont believe they have a right to exist…in fact I have sent an email to god…just waiting on a answer

Yet again another post drawn out into some 50/50 semi politcal debate.

Starting to get a tad boring now !

Think we should start a LB debate forum for some real high brow stuff as you cant seem to make a simiple observation anymore without it being drawn out , desected and chewwed over and over and over.

Sorry to have a moan , but thats one of the main reason i stopped posting when I had an opinion on something.

Guess Ill dissapear back into the shadows again and lurk !

On my way in down Whitechapel Road loads of cyclists stop at red, check/wait till it’s clear, then go before the green. I’d rather have that than them sitting there filling up the ASL and then when the light changes everybody proceeds at bicycle speed. Seems much more dangerous to me, half-a-dozen cycles wobbling off from a standstill as bikes try to accelerate through them and cars try to go round.

They’re already taxed as any other road user, and subject to the same laws as any other road user. They’re neither insured nor licensed, but I don’t think that’s likely to be anything approaching a realistic proposition any time soon. The negligible benefit would go nowhere near the costs involved.

As mild sort-of justification for the lack of insurance, cyclists do tend to come of worse in any kind of collision with anything else on the road. If there’s much of a claim to be made, chances are the cyclist is in no position to leave the scene.

As for the laws, IME most cyclists view the annual clampdown on red light jumping as drivers view the phases of clampdowns on speeding or motorcyclists the clampdowns on little numberplates. There’s a mild resignation that it is illegal, and so at some point someone will pressure the police into paying attention to it, and it’s just something that happens for a few months each year.

I’m glad they’re clamping down on this. However, if the cyclist can get over the road, without causing other road users who have right of way any issues, then I can’t see the issue with it. If however that cyclist, as one did to me, jumps a light and therefore makes the other road users who have right of way to react, then that cyclist should be punished. I also appreciate that no one here, including me, is a saint and can honestly say they’ve never done something risky.

There are bad cyclists, bad motorbikers, bad drivers, bad pedestrians…therefore, there will always be someone who causes or contributes to an accident. Tarnishing a whole group of people because they travel the same way as the person that’s just caused you to swerve, brake or worse still, have an accident, is wrong, but unfortunately its human nature.

+1. Well said!

as already said i dont mind bikes jumping lights if clear to do so. but what gets me is the summer riders in hackney that buy these old rust junk bikes that have the wicker baskets on the bars, most of them has brakes that hardly work & are in a day dream riding along. just the other day i see a woman on said bike with her child on the back parked on pavement then the bike fell in the road with the child:w00t: dont know about insurance but even some kind of MOT type safty checks once a year ata bike shop would be good.

If the title is true! thats a result!!:stuck_out_tongue:

My main issue with bicycles on the road is that they don’t blaady have mirrors, which I think for any sort of ‘vehicle’ on the road is asking for trouble.

Some (not all before flaming starts) cylclists don’t check their blindspots - I’ve encountered this on many occasions. Obviously the sensible thing to do as a motorcycle/car is to give them plenty of room in case they swerve out unexpectedly, but not every driver/rider on the road gives cyclists this room.

Anybody on the road needs to be aware of what is going on behind them, in this case for the safety of the cyclists themselves as well as other vehicles.

We all have a right to be on the road, but then the rules should apply for all and be consistent. They can’t have it both ways. Bombing it down the wrong way on a one way road is not acceptable, and although they might not always get away with it, I’ve encountered far more cyclists doing it than cars or motorcycles.