1 proud Dad

Last week, daughter did her last exam and finished 5 years at Bournemouth University.

On Friday we went down and collected her as her contact for her flat was now finished (can’t believe how much crap she has accumulated over that 5 years despite much of it also going in the skip)

She will get her final results in August or September and officially graduate in November.

Anyway, we told her that now she was home and there were no more grants from
either Uni or the bank of Mum and Dad she would either need to sign on  the dole or find a job, even if that meant stacking shelves for a few months.

Something obviously sunk in.  She applied for a job online on Sunday evening, on
Monday she had a text asking if they could speak to her further, today at 2pm she goes for her first ever job interview, at 4pm she gets a phone call offering her a job. (y)

Of course she accepted straight away.

So from the 25th of this month she will be a Chemical annalyst working for a big Utility firm.

I think that less than 1 week between finishing University and starting work is pretty good going for a novice in the work place and who has not yet got her grades.

Apparently she impressed her new boss in that she was able to prove that she knew what she was talking about.

As I said, 1 proud and chuffed dad

Thars great stuff!

Also, always glad to hear of more grads in STEM roles… :slight_smile:

Been involved with a similar initiatives at my current job and boy do.i wish I had done something similar

Think that deserves a bridging loan until her first paydate. Well done delivering her to Adulthood.

Congratulations are due.  I wonder if she treats ma and pa to couple of bottles of wine with her first pay packet.

Also, congratulations to you and Mrs TC, as you obviously done extremely well with bringing her up.

Funny timed post! My eldest sits her very last GCSE today. The mix of emotions is palpable.

Cannot believe how quickly 16 years pass. Well done TC all the best to her.

Fantastic news, TC and TS.

Congratulations are due.  I wonder if she treats ma and pa to couple of bottles of wine with her first pay packet.
Also, congratulations to you and Mrs TC, as you obviously done extremely well with bringing her up.
Aceman
We are a teetotal family, so no wine but maybe a nice dinner ;-)

We are pretty proud at how she has turned out.

The mix of emotions is palpable. Cannot believe how quickly 16 years pass. Well done TC all the best to her. The Sleeper
Tell me about it.  I totally agree.  But it will be nice not to have to keep dipping my hand in my pocket (not that I begrudge her).  

Once she is through her driving test, she will at least be totally independent.

Not a bike test? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a bike test? :P
me_groovy
She has trouble staying upright on a pedal cycle, although she has dropped hints about doing her CBT but I have ignored it so far.

But I was referring to her car test

Good for her. Obviously the by product of a good upbringing!  It is always very heartwarming when our off spring do the right thing and also stand on their own two feet. Mine are still young, but I do hope that they follow such a pathway into employment and also fulfillment.

she clearly made the right choice of field.  good luck.

Good for her. She obviously chose her parents well.

Top stuff. I also graduated from Bournemouth Uni, it’s a decent place. Also walked straight into a job at immediately after finishing there. There’s a lot of banter about waste of time degrees, not needing them, students just building unnecessary debt when they should just get a job. In some cases it may be true, however, a decent degree from a decent place is most definitely a door opener to a good many professions that you will struggle to get into without.

I agree that to now have a degree to enter services like the Police or Nursing iis pathetic, but as you say some degrees are very relevant.  Most university educated Policemen and women are in my experience the worst as they are very good academics and therefore potential chief officer material but do not have an ounce of common sense and therefore fail to get any respect from their colleagues and peers.

I imagine the same might apply to nursing

But a law degree can be relevant, any maths, Engish or science I would agree with as well.

My daughters degree is in Forensic Science, and to be honest as soon as she mentions science, chemistry or anything like that my brain just shuts down, but it is very relevant for the job she is going to be doing.

Yes it is the same as Nursing, you do not need a degree. The new nurses all want to be mangers and are claiming to posh to wash butts!

I agree that to now have a degree to enter services like the Police or Nursing iis pathetic,
T.C
Basically a load more Chiefs and definitely too few Indians, and not an ounce of common sense !

well done TC  … and good choice of degree  …that does look a future proof career path !