Official 2008 Bennetts BSB Championship Entry List
The HM Plant Honda team, who have powered the champion in each of the past two seasons have Leon Haslam taking over the top ride and he is joined by 2006 British Supersport champion Cal Crutchlow.
Both have been on the pace in testing but face strong opposition from the Rizla Suzuki equipe featuring 2007 ‘rookie of the year’ Tom Sykes, paired with double-Japanese Superbike Champion Atsushi Watanabe. A third Suzuki, running in Relentless colours, in the hands of reigning British Supersport Champion Michael Laverty will also pose a threat.
Shane Byrne, British Superbike Champion with Ducati five years ago, is back with the latest racing version of the Italian bike, the 1098R, for the Airwaves team alongside Leon Camier.
Stuart Easton, another former Supersport title winner, lines up for the factory-backed MSS Discovery Kawasaki team, with Australian Billy McConnell as his teammate.
Guy Martin, renowned for his road racing abilities, rides for Hydrex–Bike Animal Honda alongside former MotoGP rider James Ellison, who has his elder brother Dean as a rival on the Co-ordit Yamaha.
Karl Harris, the fourth former Supersport champion on the grid, rides for Team Yamaha, while there is wealth of experience in the Hawk Kawasaki line-up in the shape of Scott Smart and James Haydon. Michael Rutter rides for the North West 200 Ducati team, while Chris Burns is aboard the STP MV-Agusta.
The Superbike Privateers Cup has a strong entry list, with Malcolm Ashley having Russian backing for his ARP Kawasaki as he takes on the likes of Tom Tunstall, Luke Quigley and Martin Jessopp.
The 12 round Bennetts British Superbike Championship begins at Brands Hatch on Sunday 6 April.
2008 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - Provisional Entry List:
NO - RIDER - NAT - HOME TOWN - TEAM
2. Leon Camier - GB - Wimborne - Airwaves Ducati
3. Stuart Easton - GB - Hawick - MSS-Discovery Kawasaki
4. Michael Laverty - GB - Toomebridge - Relentless Suzuki by TAS
5. Karl Harris - GB - Sheffield - RM Yamaha
6. James Haydon - GB - Berkhamsted - Hawk
7. James Ellison GB - Kendal - Hydrex-Bike Animal Honda
8. Billy McConnell - AUS - MSS-Discovery Kawasaki
9. Guy Martin - GB - Kirmington - Hydrex-Bike Animal Honda
11. Adam Jenkinson - GB - Manchester - SMT Honda
14. Atsushi Watanabe - JPN - Rizla Suzuki
17. Simon Andrews - GB - Evesham - Lloyds British Jentin Yamaha
21. Tom Tunstall - GB - Huddersfield - Hardinge Ice Valley Motorsport (P)
22. Steve Plater - GB - Woodhall Spa - AIM Yamaha
27. Tristan Palmer - GB - Nuneaton - TENA for Men Honda
33. Michael Howarth - GB - Burnley - TENA for Men Honda (P)
35. Cal Crutchlow - GB - Coventry - HM Plant Honda
40. Martin Jessopp - GB - Yeovil - Riders Honda (P)
51. Luke Quigley - GB - Brierley Hill - PDM Racing (P)
53. Chris Burns - GB - Newcastle - STP – MV Agusta
56. James Buckingham - GB - Ilfracombe - Quay Honda (P)
63. Steve Mercer - GB - Maidstone - Bob Farnham Tuning (P)
64. Aaron Zanotti - GB - Loughborough - Red Viper Honda
66. Tom Sykes - GB - Huddersfield - Rizla Suzuki
67. Shane Byrne - GB - Zurich - Airwaves Ducati
68. David Johnson - AUS - PR Branson Honda
88. Scott Smart - GB - Maidstone - Hawk
91. Leon Haslam - GB - Derby - HM Plant Honda
99. Brian McCormack - IRL - Tramore - TAG Honda MAC Racing
111. Malcolm Ashley - GB - Stoke Golding - MAR–ARP Kawasaki (P)
118. Dean Ellison - GB - Leicester - Co-ordit Yamaha
200. Michael Rutter - GB - Brierley Hill - North West 200 Ducati