BMW Announces the UK Price for the S 1000 RR
By: londonbikers.com | Published 20 September 2009, 02:36 | Views: 3,525 | tags: motorcycles, bmw, motorrad, supersports, s 1000 rr, race spec, abs, dtc, dynamic traction control, gear shift assist
BMW Motorrad has announced that the UK price for the S 1000 RR will be an extremely competitive £10,950 (inc 15% VAT) OTR for the standard model. The S 1000 RR will also be available in a ‘Sport’ specification costing £12,235 OTR. The stunning and eagerly anticipated addition to the supersport sector can be ordered from BMW Motorrad for delivery from mid-January 2010.
The S 1000 RR Sport version will be factory fitted with Sports ABS, Dynamic Traction Control and Gearshift Assist. This offers customers a saving of £213 over the cost of a standard model with the three options purchased separately.
Although Motorrad has launched these two model specifications, a customer ordering an S 1000 RR will still have the facility to select any individual options they desire. Bespoke motorcycles will then be assembled on the production line to the customer’s own specification. This BMW option is unique to the supersport market sector.
S 1000 RR factory fitted options and prices:
* Race ABS is £785
* Race ABS + Dynamic Traction Control is £1,199*
* Gear Shift Assist is £299*
* Anti-theft Alarm is £172
* BMW Motorrad Motorsport colour scheme is £390
*standard on S 1000 RR Sport
Ian Furse, BMW Motorrad National Sales Manager said, “In the UK, we have worked very hard to launch the S 1000 RR into the competitive supersport sector at a realistic and affordable price. Not only does the Standard model offer excellent value for money, we feel that with the introduction of the higher specification Sport variant, we can offer supersports customers a simple choice of specifications that will also significantly benefit the bike’s residual values.
“Simple and strong residuals will also enable BMW to offer affordable monthly purchasing plans via BMW Select Finance. These offers will be announced when the S 1000 RR reaches BMW Dealer showrooms on 5 December.”
Technical highlights of the standard S 1000 RR include:
* A bench mark setting power output of 193 bhp at 13,000 rpm with peak torque 82.5 lb-ft (112 Nm) at 9,750 rpm.
* The S 1000 RR weighs 206.5 kg in road trim. With a full tank, this is the lightest supersport bike in the 1000-cc class. The dry weight is 183 kg.
* It has the best power-to-weight ratio in its class: just 1.05 kg and 1.06 kg per horsepower without/with Race ABS.
* The engine features high-speed, ultra-strong valve drive with individual cam followers and titanium valves, following the example of BMW’s Formula 1 engines.
* S 1000 RR has various riding ‘modes’ available at the touch of a button, to optimise performance on wet surfaces, regular roads, race tracks with sports tyres, and race tracks with slicks.
* The innovative exhaust system has a short rear-end muffler, pre-silencer and electronically-controlled interference pipe flaps, as well as a fully controlled exhaust gas manifold and two three-way catalytic converters.
* The S 1000 RR has supreme aerodynamics and sporting ergonomics that are ideal for riders of all sizes.
Technical highlights of the S 1000 RR Sport
* The S 1000 RR is the only supersport machine to offer Race ABS, DTC Dynamic Traction Control and engine management modes in combination.
* The Race ABS gives outstanding braking performance and safety. The weight of the entire system is just 2.5 kg, which compares favourably with similar competitor ABS systems weighing up to 10 kg.
* DTC Dynamic Traction Control, in conjunction with the Race ABS, provides optimum performance and maximum ‘active’ safety under acceleration.
* The four riding ‘modes’ provide an all-round set-up, co-ordination and balance for the Race ABS, DTC Dynamic Traction Control and engine management.
* The Gearshift Assistant enables riders to ‘speed shift’ up through the gears without using the clutch and with no interruption to torque or pulling power.
For further information, or to locate your nearest BMW Motorrad dealership, please call 0800 777 155 or visit www.bmw-motorrad.com
click to zoom