londonbikers.com
The biggest motorcycle community in London
london's home of biking

LB Community Forums

Home Search Tags Calendar

Has anyone else noticed...

Posted 15/11/2012 22:56:03
London Biker
London BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon Biker

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3 hours ago
A big crackdown on red light jumping cyclists on my commute in recently - mostly mornings but less so in the evenings as well. Police on bikes, motorbikes, cars & foot at regular haunts of the lemming cyclist. They've been picking up a lot of them from what I can tell.

Fair play to them, red light jumping cyclists piss me off - they're a danger to anyone innocently riding through a green light and when I'm cycling they forever ride past at the red lights and then get in the way 100 yards further down the road riding at 10mph.

Now, if the police could just do something about the seemingly increasing numbers of cars, vans and buses doing the same - did everyone suddenly go colour blind in the last couple of weeks or something?

--------------------------------------------------

Yamaha Cygnus X

Yamaha XJ6 Diversion

Post #977941
 Posted 15/11/2012 23:01:06
London Biker
London BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon Biker

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 17:11:15
yup also noticed that on the A3 around kennington area...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada... 
Post #977943
 Posted 15/11/2012 23:08:15
London Biker

Last Login: 01/01/2014 11:51:14
I don't know why they bother really, there are much more pressing issues to deal with in my opinion... Like the recent survey that suggested over half the vehicles in London had less than the legal tyre tread depth...

Or perhaps they could crack down on the chronic lack of indicator use. Or using a phone whilst at the wheel. Or sitting in lane 2/3/4 when lane 1 is completely clear...

Just my 2pence. I suppose there are nice fines to be had though from red light jumping cyclists... Or am I just being cynical...
Post #977944
 Posted 16/11/2012 05:24:59
London Biker

Last Login: 2 hours ago
I think they should get rid of the traffic lights. When they used to pack up at Vauxhall the traffic flowed better than it ever did when they were working. ;)

Surgery Open Monday to Saturday.
Unit F, 15 - 23 Greenhill Crescent, Watford Business Park, Watford, Herts WD18 8PH  (Opposite the Citroen Showroom, through the steel gates, second unit on your right)
ScorchMotorcycleServices@outlook.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scorch-Motorcycle-Services/614874145288741
07986 750384   
Post #977948
 Posted 16/11/2012 06:14:18
Derby Biker
Derby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby BikerDerby Biker

Last Login: 18/12/2014 12:54:06
monkimark (15/11/2012)
A big crackdown on red light jumping cyclists on my commute in recently - mostly mornings but less so in the evenings as well. Police on bikes, motorbikes, cars & foot at regular haunts of the lemming cyclist. They've been picking up a lot of them from what I can tell.

Fair play to them, red light jumping cyclists piss me off - they're a danger to anyone innocently riding through a green light and when I'm cycling they forever ride past at the red lights and then get in the way 100 yards further down the road riding at 10mph.

Now, if the police could just do something about the seemingly increasing numbers of cars, vans and buses doing the same - did everyone suddenly go colour blind in the last couple of weeks or something?

No but the lack of enforcement means the chance of getting away with it is very high.  So people break the law.

Kevsta
125V2, 500I2, 900I2, 990V2 :cool:
Smiled Club #004
Post #977951
 Posted 16/11/2012 08:16:39
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery RiderPizza Delivery Rider

Last Login: 10/12/2014 17:06:36
yeah they ran out of police when I saw then the other morning at 645am ..... !! (A3 kennington tube)

agree with the others  ....that mobile phones would be where I would spend my money on the police...

they are cherry picking "safe" red light jumpers at an easy to spot place  ... would rather they look at the "dangerous riding" when folks run reds on cycles in much more awkward places ...
Post #977958
 Posted 16/11/2012 09:00:46
London Biker

Last Login: 3 hours ago
I agree that the lights they're stopping people at are relatively 'safe' to jump but a crackdown is long overdue down there. I guess they know they'll get big numbers there and the more people you catch, the more word will get out that it is enforced - people who jump red lights on the straight road in Kennington are probably the same people who appear in front of you having jumped a 'dangerous' red light

I cycle in down that route 3 or 4 times a week and it's not that much of a hardship to stop at the red lights.

It's a habit that needs to be broken, if only to stop the standard daily mail reader response of "yeah, I swerved into a cycle lane while talking on the phone but I'll start looking where I'm going when cyclists stop jumping red lights, riding on the pavement and eating babies"

What would be good is if the team of cops doing the red light checks could be a roving traffic crackdown team - maybe set up to catch mobile phone drivers one week, unroadworthy cars the next etc. I doubt they'd be short of work even if they parked up in the same place in Kennington every day.

A couple of cyclist/biker cops could make a massive difference to road safety for a relatively modest outlay, maybe even set up a voting/contact page on the met police website where people can state what their major concerns are.

It'll never happen of course.

--------------------------------------------------

Yamaha Cygnus X

Yamaha XJ6 Diversion

Post #977963