londonbikers.com
The biggest motorcycle community in London
london's home of biking

LB Community Forums

Home Search Tags Calendar

Posted 24/06/2012 23:41:04
London Biker
London BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon Biker

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 01/01/2014 11:51:14
I probably won't be going to the OMC much anymore, not because I can't afford the extra £2 per hour, but because I don't really want to be paying extra for the same thing just because someone's business isn't doing that well. I don't think I should have to pay for that.

If OMC announced a drop in prices to £18 per hour perhaps that would generate more interest and custom. But as the price has gone the other way it makes me feel put off. It also makes me think twice about recommending the facility to other people. I'd rather use my local bike garage.

All the best to OMC though
Post #943444
 Posted 25/06/2012 06:19:47
London Biker
London BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon BikerLondon Biker

Last Login: 23/11/2014 08:51:33
NumNum (24/06/2012)
I can clean a caliper and slap in a set of pads faster than you can   .... just cos I have done it a ridiculous amount of times  .I know exactly what I need and will have it all laid out before hand .  Hard to make up that time and judge that time as inexperienced people are all at different levels . I can see many pitfalls in trying to do a fixed price on something that the mechanic aint actually doing but trusting the inexperienced to do it in that time .

That's true. but it's only really a problem if they've got more customers than benches available.  If it means someone spends 5 hours doing a job that should only take an hour, and they pay for the job rather than the time, have OMC really lost out if there were enough bench's for everyone else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me on Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

AndroidAndyUK - Android app, device and accessory videos
Post #943457
 Posted 25/06/2012 06:31:36
Rush Hour Racer
Rush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour RacerRush Hour Racer

Last Login: 01/02/2013 22:05:58

I would think it isn’t their idea of building up an offshore tax haven having to put prices up, but a knock on effect of the everyone else wanting more because of inflation.

What they probably need is Jimmy Carr’s accountant to be able to re classify customers as employees/traders/students when they hire an hour or so of bench time so that they can sell items for your bike VAT exempt.

No extra money for them at OMC by doing that, but 20% (no VAT) savings might get the punters in?

Post #943458
 Posted 25/06/2012 08:17:16
Rhubarb von Crumble
Rhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von CrumbleRhubarb von Crumble

Last Login: 04/11/2014 07:01:46
I think given inflation and the increase in price in things like oil based products etc a small increase is not a very big deal. They offer a jaw dropping deal on there membership cards and if your going down there that often that the £2 makes that much more of a difference then surely you would have the pre-paid card anyway? If not then the increase will help cover the cost of the last minute usage and mean that building more customers around the cards make everything better value. 

As a new and growing business i think some people are grossly underestimating what it takes both financially and time wise to make something like this profitable, if they are already in profit i would be surprised, and if all they have to do to there business model is increase there pay as you go rate by 10% to make it profitable then thats impressive.

Cut them some slack, they  are trying to offer a very unique service and they are still finding there feet. Give them an over harsh review over £2 an hour and you can kill off a business that does not deserve it.

I have never used OMC as point of note, I'm just looking at it from a operational point of view.

Rixxy

Smiledclub membership No.129:P
R1200 GSA TE
Ducati 1098 S
Gixxer K5

London to Australia June 2011 - May 2012
- Read About It -
www.jamesandcat.com
Post #943465
 Posted 25/06/2012 08:30:08
London Biker

Last Login: Yesterday @ 23:35:21
AndyCr15 (25/06/2012)
NumNum (24/06/2012)
I can clean a caliper and slap in a set of pads faster than you can   .... just cos I have done it a ridiculous amount of times  .I know exactly what I need and will have it all laid out before hand .  Hard to make up that time and judge that time as inexperienced people are all at different levels . I can see many pitfalls in trying to do a fixed price on something that the mechanic aint actually doing but trusting the inexperienced to do it in that time .

That's true. but it's only really a problem if they've got more customers than benches available.  If it means someone spends 5 hours doing a job that should only take an hour, and they pay for the job rather than the time, have OMC really lost out if there were enough bench's for everyone else?

I suppose that would depend on what they used .. lekkytikkity  , tools ,how much pro mechanic time they required to take 5 hours to do it . I am sure when Matt aint hanging over a customer he has other things to do ...  how much coffee they drank .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Post #943466
 Posted 25/06/2012 09:46:56
London Biker

Last Login: 01/01/2014 11:51:14
AndyCr15 (25/06/2012)
NumNum (24/06/2012)

There's loads of benches there, if they could bring them all into operation it might save the times when people are waiting for benches...
Post #943481
 Posted 25/06/2012 10:01:03
London Biker

Last Login: 23/10/2014 20:08:15
I think the OMC is just the thing for someone who isn't a total numpty with a spanner or someone that actually knows what they are doing. This makes the £22 p/h well worth it. I'm a complete retard without a spanner at times so you should see me with a spanner! The only problem with the business model is once someone knows how to do the job they will do it at home if they can and probably invest in some tools. 

People are slandering OMC but nobody was complaining when they were offering their premises for FREE as an LB meeting point on Wednesdays. If its not the place for you because of the extra £2, fair enough. But, spare a thought for the two people who risked a lot to open up a business. The chance is you'll type OMC into Google and this comes up... What does that say to potential customers? Spare a thought.

--

http://londonbikers.com/forums/imagesv5/60b9acd4-8ea1-4976-88f7-4cec.JPG
Kawasaki ZX10R

Suzuki GSX650F

Yamaha YZF-R125

Yamaha YBR 125

Peugeot Speedfight 100

Post #943486
 Posted 25/06/2012 10:12:01
Roundabout Scratcher
Roundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout ScratcherRoundabout Scratcher

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:33:30
My 2 pence or £2 worth however you choose to value it ;)

...it's cheaper than a dealership, more flexible than a delaership, more friendly than a dealerhip and above all honest!

They've told you pubicly prices have gone up and not by far in my opinon, rather than you going down to your dealership and finding out everything now costs double!

I also understand that many people choose to work on their bike themselves at home (that kind of is the essence of OMC to get you to that level) so respect to you all that have that ability. Also those that have good reliable friendly mechanics, or repair shops you have a good relationship with respect to you too.

However, for those who don't have that and can be a bit of a 'tool' with tools the OMC is perfect. At the end of the day I think my time and money is far better invested in working on my own bike in a learning environment rather than having someone else do it in their time at docuble the cost.

"Personal Philosophy - Clothing Optional"

Post #943489
 Posted 25/06/2012 10:54:28
London Biker

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:28:54
^^ +1.

i'd go there purely because i know what happens to my bike is what's suppose to happen, not what they pretend to say they've worked on it for 2 hours on it when infact was 10 minutes. 

without even fix what they were suppose to fix.

or do a mock job. or do some serious damage to it.  the list can go on and on and on....

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didnt exist.

Reborn.

Smiledclub member NO 58
Post #943536
 Posted 25/06/2012 11:49:59
I Lova Sexytime..!!
I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!I Lova Sexytime..!!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 16:30:27
Going up £2 ain't that bad 

I have used OMC few times and have learnt a lot there... And think its good value for money 

To the fact that in the long run I saved money by knowing how to do work myself 
For example I learnt about doing headstock bearings last year there on my blackbird and have since done it on 3 bikes....  Saving myself quite abit 

Would recommend them to anyone 

Live Fast, Die Young Leave A Good Looking Corpse

Smiledclub member no. 792

Post #943569